THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

razor488

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Chris
I am looking to confirm my own suspicion on what the problem is with my smash burgers. Could it be the type of ground beef?

I got a griddle recently and love cooking on it. I have watched a lot of smash burger videos and feel like I am replicating it well. I am getting a nice crust and seasoning with Meat Church Holy Gospel. The burgers still kind of taste... bland.

I am using this ground beef from Costco. Could this 85/15 mixture be the reason the burger is on the bland side?

Attachments

I just made these last night on blackstone. My process is I roll ground beef out and use lawrys season salt the. Mix all beef back together. This way seasoning not only on top and bottom. I get blackstone to 550-600 and put 4oz balls on and smash. Flip and apply cheese. Once done I load onto buns. They turn out with great flavor each time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just made these last night on blackstone. My process is I roll ground beef out and use lawrys season salt the. Mix all beef back together. This way seasoning not only on top and bottom. I get blackstone to 550-600 and put 4oz balls on and smash. Flip and apply cheese. Once done I load onto buns. They turn out with great flavor each time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I will try a different seasoning like lawrys and see if holy gospel is the problem.

If you are getting good crust it's one of two things. No enough seasoning or meat. I only season one side with either longhorn steak seasoning or Lawrys garlic salt and pepper. Usually use 80/20 chuck from Miejer. Both angus or their house grind. We used Sams Club 85/15 once but, didn't really notice much of a difference.

I think seasoning throughout is key and like Back9Q's idea of rolling it out. I assume like thick pastry dough, then season, then knead back together.

I also think seasoning an hour or so before cooking makes a difference.

Never won any competitions, but we seem to like them.

I use 80/20 in 1/4lb balls. I push down on them a bit when I pick them up for the griddle, giving a surface for my "burger dust", 4 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp onion powder. I put the seasoned side down, press the rest of the way and season the top. I personally don't believe in mixing in seasonings, alters the protein of the meat and binds it. I reserve that for meatloaf or meatballs, etc. But it's all about what works for you, that's the best part of home cooking, indoors or out!! Enjoy!

There is a difference between a good smashB and GReat SamshB

You want a good one then smash on the griddle

You want a great one then pre smash raw and don’t push on the meat when cooking…. Just flip it

Your letting all the juices out when you smash’em!

Try it!!

Thank me later

:thumb:

Start with bacon. Smash burgers (85/15) into bacon fat and season with Naturific Q-salt. flip and add cheese. I like to put bleu cheese on half of them and white American on the rest. Stack the finished burgers with the bleu cheese in the center. Put stacked burgers on a toasted bun with bacon and green chile sauce. PLENTY of flavor.

Haven't done smash since giving the small Blackstone to my son but, gotta do at least 80/20 for burgers. Sea salt and fresh ground pepper is all I use. The salt part is important to me. Been using this ~25 years. Lends great flavor to anything. Comes in smaller packages to try. The 22# bag usually lasts me 5 years.

I am looking to confirm my own suspicion on what the problem is with my smash burgers. Could it be the type of ground beef?

I got a griddle recently and love cooking on it. I have watched a lot of smash burger videos and feel like I am replicating it well. I am getting a nice crust and seasoning with Meat Church Holy Gospel. The burgers still kind of taste... bland.

I am using this ground beef from Costco. Could this 85/15 mixture be the reason the burger is on the bland side?

Chris,

I'm not clear exactly what is missing from your burgers taste-wise? Is it the flavor(or lack thereof) from the meat itself? I'm wondering if you're not using enough salt - burgers can take a quite a bit of salt, as a good % comes off during cooking. I use Lawry's and black pepper and have found that getting more salt on the burgers than you think you need does the trick.

There is a difference between a good smashB and GReat SamshB

You want a good one then smash on the griddle

You want a great one then pre smash raw and don’t push on the meat when cooking…. Just flip it

Your letting all the juices out when you smash’em!

Try it!!

Thank me later

:thumb:

I have always thought ^^^^^^that should be the way to cook a smashed burger--pre smashed. Never understood smashing the ball on the griddle. Would anyone care to explain the prevailing thought to smash on the griddle versus cooking pre-smashed?

Thanks,

Robert

I agree with the more fat content, 73/27 is about right for burgers, IMO.
Also agree that they will take more salt than you think they need. I like a Montreal style steak seasoning on mine.

As for pre-smashing, I don't agree 100%. I understand the reasoning, BUT, I smash mine as soon as they go on the griddle, so the fat hasn't melted yet, so no juices are lost.
My thought is that its easier to roll the balls to a consistent size. Smashing them on the griddle saves a little time.

For a really tasty burger, grind some brisket trimmings or rib trimmings and add to your meat.
To really get into it, grind your own burger from chuck roasts, or rib eyes, or whatever looks good and has a fairly high fat content. My first stop on every trip to the store is the yellow tag section of the meat department.

I thought smashing was what made it a smash-burger. If it's "pre-smashed" and you just lay it down on the grill to cook, isn't that a regular burger?

That’s two different burgers for us.

Pre Smash Smash Burgers go on the griddle, sear plate or cast iron skillet

1/4 to 1/2 Patties goes on the grill or smoker for a revers sear

Never tried to grill a smash but sounds interesting tho

Back