THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hot Spot

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Bob
I know I have made statements that I have been less than happy with my Mak in the past. I now realize that there is really no legitimate reason that I should feel that way. It performs really good and there is no rust concern which would be a big issue for me. I am sorry if I have had any negative influence on anybody considering a Mak.

They are a decent cooker for sure, definitely overpriced in my opinion. I’ve had multiple issues with mine during cooks throughout the years, flameout, etc. That said, I am happy enough with it for how infrequently I use it.

I still stand by all of my statements on mine. While they might have been extra frustrated due to all the brand hype here on the board, and the lack of objective feedback, they all still hold to be valid and accurate.

I have zero complaints, thinking about a 3������ actually

Ya'll Mak users need a stick burning diffuser like the Pit Boss has thanks to Smoke Daddy Inc.
Its funny That youtube guy promotes a product that does the same thing as what ive been using for 5 years and its somehow a new thing. I think its some camp chef product?

Glad to hear you are enjoying your MAK! I am a firm believer that there is not a single cooker on the market that will work for 100% of its owners… and it’s a bummer when that happens. I have bought and sold a good number of grills and smokers that didn’t make the cut for my personal use. Is what it is. I do believe that the vast majority of pellet grill owners are happy with their investment… and I also believe that the higher the quality cooker you buy, the more likely you are to be happy with it long term.

Just my observations and opinions :)

After going through a lot of pellet grills to get there, I can say I still love my MAK. I’ve had Traegers, GMG, CampChef, Memphis, and Weber all before getting where I am. In the end my MAK is the best I’ve had. Is it perfect, not at all. Do we expect perfection when popping MAK prices on a pellet grill? I think most of us do. In the end though, it produces the most consistent results and smokiest food I’ve gotten from pellet cookers.

Occasionally, my WiFi connection turns itself off. Would a fire pot quick dump like CampChef be nice? ABSOLUTELY! However, it takes 2-3 minutes to remove grates, drip pan and heat shield to empty it (every cook). I also don’t like taking the lid off 2-3 times a year to scrape it down. However, If I empty the pot every cook, clean the lid and vents every few months, and occasionally bend over and press buttons to turn the WiFI back on, it’s a dependable machine for me. I know mine is going to overshoot start up by 30-50° every time, then settle in like a champ for hours and hours. I also know not to run Lumberjack 100% hickory for long cooks. Like most things, it’s about learning the cooker, even expensive ones have quirks.

I could lay out far more minor or major inconveniences or even issues with all the rest I’ve had.

Look at Franklin’s beautiful but expensive offset. Look closely at the fire box. He chose something he feels performs better performance wise over being able to quickly brush the ash out of it.

Back