method X prime rib method

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
every year I cook prime rib for Christmas dinner. I have it down pat but for some reason I decided to experiment this year. I've always wanted to try this closed oven method. 5 minutes per lbs @ 500 and then turn off the oven and leave it alone for two hrs. that's it.

so here we go, nice cab roast from Meijer.

trimmed and tied the roast then liberally rubbed it with Q-salt

into the oven. I know weird. I don't usually hook up the probes but I didn't really trust this method

really I had some doubts about this. about an hour after I cut the oven off we were not close

closer but I still didn't think we'd make it. I haven't watched a cook like this in years.

15 minutes after the 2 hr window we hit equilibrium. a perfect 127.

good crust

pretty even doneness, just a little grey

this Christmas was as good as any I've had.

this method worked perfectly. I may do it again. only thing I'd do differently is let it sit in the off oven longer to give more of a rest

Very nice Steve Looks really good Love that fine China I believe thats how John and Jody did theirs this year AKA SirPorkaLot Wehad left over Pizza asd Kay stomach was not right so we will have Anne Burrell's Turkey Burgers ans Wampus Bake Beans tonight

it turned out perfect, I was considering trying the method X but was skeptical also. seeing you results, maybe next year I'll give it a whirl.

Looks fantastic, Ninja... Kudos for trying out a new method!

20221225-172311.jpg

WOW! Amazing work! May have to try this next time!

How could you be skeptical of a hot, then slow cook? That's your thing. Next time, rest it in the turkey roaster.

It does look great. Simple enough for even someone like me.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

How could you be skeptical of a hot, then slow cook? That's your thing. Next time, rest it in the turkey roaster.

It does look great. Simple enough for even someone like me.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I should have known better.

don't think I didn't consider busting out the roaster. actually one of my first uses for the roaster is to cook roasts at a low temp for long periods. I'd finish off with a sear on the kettle

this recipe goes against everything I have learned and still works....guess that says something about what I know

You need to pull a little sooner, the carry over looks in the 140F range. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Steve, I had heard of this method but was also skeptical. Seeing your results hellps me decide what I want to do for New Years Day dinner!!!
Thanks Brethren !!

I would be more than happy to have that plate in front of me. We did just the opposite this year. Normally we do the 500 and rest. Both give great results. I am not much of a wine drinker. What cab did you grab? Always looking for MIL

I did mine this way this year as well. Works great.

Never heard it called method X though.

It most commonly goes by:
Rule of 5s, or Closed oven method

Looks great! I saw that method, but couldn't bring myself to try it. I did sous vide and still had it probed during the cook. I usually smoke them, but the wife didn't want that this year.

You need to pull a little sooner, the carry over looks in the 140F range. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Sorry bud, that's medium all day.

you can call it medium if you want but it's not 140. when. I pulled it from the oven they were both at 127 and coasting to thay point for two hours. it's not possible for ot to carryover like that. I've cooked many roasts to 130 and this is what they look like

you can call it medium if you want but it's not 140. when. I pulled it from the oven they were both at 127 and coasting to thay point for two hours. it's not possible for ot to carryover like that. I've cooked many roasts to 130 and this is what they look like

I don't want to get into a debate over oven temp vs IT temp and the carry over calculations, but unless you are doing sous vide for 8+ hours at a temp no higher then 5F above target temp, the carry over is going to be 10F above pull temp if oven temp is 200- 250F.

Either way, like i said, not that there is anything wrong with that. Relax, and stop with the child insults.

Back