THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
So I had read about all these folks that grind up brisket for hamburger. It has a good ratio of fat to meat, and the taste is like brisket. Naturally I was interested in trying this. I ground up a flat a few weeks ago for a burger in the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Burger Challenge. It was good.

So I bought a 12 pound packer from Sams, the most flexible and prettiest one they had. I chopped it into steaks, then into strips, and ran them through my grinder, yielding 12 pounds of ground brisket. I was ready to use it for anything that called for ground beef.

The first thing I did with it was make taco meat for the family. The wife and kids hated it. Said it was too fatty and chewy. I agreed somewhat hesitantly, my ground brisket dreams smashed into a million-jillion little pieces.

The next night I made a big old batch of chili. I had thought about the ground brisket being tough and figured it had not cooked long enough in a moist environment to properly break down and become tender. I took some beef broth and put the raw ground brisket (about 5 pounds worth) into the beef broth to let it cook the meat until the meat came apart like loosemeat, and then proceeded to make chili out of it. It was extremely greasy, and the meat did fall apart and become tender, but because they started out as ground pieces, the pieces left over after falling apart were so small it was a bunch of teeny tiny meat particles, and together in a liquid environment kinda resembled a meat sludge.

I managed to recover the chili by straining out the solids, and letting the remaining liquids chill in the fridge overnight to make the fat and grease harden on top so I could pull it out. Then I recombined the solids and liquids and it made a really good chili to be quite honest. But it was quite a bit of work for making chili, and in the end it was more of a chili sauce since there were no discernible pieces of meat. I added some pinto beans to give it some texture and thicken it up a bit.

Why did I tell you all that? So you would know what led me to try this.

I took about 3 pounds of the ground brisket and formed into little meatballs. I then rolled these meatballs in some of my brisket rub. I am going to put these in the cooker for a while. I am going to overcook them and maybe apply some more rub later on in the middle of the cook. What I am trying to do is see what I get if I basically cook these kinda like burnt ends.

I have no idea what will happen. This could be a miserable failure. I will report the rsults of course.
icon_smile_wink.gif

Here's a photo of the meatballs with rub just before going in the WSM. the photo quality is rather poor because I used my camera phone. My good camera is not working now because of The Meat That Shall Not Be Named.
Burnt_End_Meatballs.jpg

Hellacious experiments, Chris! I had the same experience with brisket chili once. I guess the trick is to undercook the brisket before throwing it into the pot...

Can't wait to see how your meatballs come out!

Arlin

heemm sounds like a bad expierence next mix the meatup real good so you can have some kinda fat mixture thru out, also course grind and then fine grind, but making sure the meat is mixed thru and thru is key, also pre-cook the meat before you put it in the chili so you can pour off the fat and not have as much fat in your chili

Thanks for the tips.

The WSM has been humming along at 250. Just gave everything inside a flip. The meatballs got some deep grooves in them from the grates, so if they get good an blackened they may look like the backside of a Kingsford briquette.:biggrin:

It sounds like your grind was too fatty. Try removing most of the external fat from a brisket before grinding.

It also sounds like you have a fun experiment but I predict overcooked meatballs will be the outcome. I like the long chewy protein strands in burnt ends. I don't see how ground meat can replicate that texture.

The meatballs are done! They cooked for just over 4 hours at 250. Sorry about the poor picture quality, it was from a camera phone.
Burnt_End_Meatballs_done.jpg

They taste exactly like burnt ends, but are a bit more tender and less chewy. They are just as tasty as regular burnt ends. I could see these being stuck with toothpicks, dipped in sauce and served as appetizers.

I'm really wishing I had the fixins to make a meatball sandwich outta these. I'm thinking a hoagie, meatballs, sauce, onion rings and pepper jack cheese.

I may make more of these with the rest of the ground brisket.

That first pick looks like you "pre-chewed" them. :icon_sick

The last pic looks like you could use more fiber in your diet.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:probably!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

They are good! I've been snacking on them. Dangerous stuff to have around.

Yep. I think they are just right. They look kinda black and crunchy in the pic, but they are moist and chewy inside. Kinda like how a brisket looks like a meteorite until you slice into it. any less time and they would have just been brisket meatballs, not burnt end meatballs. It's like asking why you would put chopped pieces of a fully cooked brisket back in the cooker for another 4 hours (for burnt ends:wink:)

Back