Texas Chili on my Traeger

JCBII

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
JC
This is my 2nd time around making Texas Chili per Matt Pittman's (Meat Church) youtube video. The first time I didn't have any smoked brisket or chuck roast available, so thought I'd try it again with all the ingredients. A couple of days prior, I smoked a brisket for 18hours on my Traeger Timberline 1300 at temps ranging from 225 to 250Ā°. I chopped up some of the brisket flat into cubes which I added to this recipe. (they look dry in the photo because they came out of the freezer when I added to the chili)

Per the Meat Church video, I smoked the Chili low & slow for 7 hours and the result was a delicious, hearty meal. I'm used to having beans in my Chili but I have no complaints about Texas style. šŸ˜‰

And as some collateral goodness, I reheated some of that chili a few days later to make chili cheese dogs which were awesome!

Attachments

• IMG_7754.jpg
    IMG_7754.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Chili-0.jpg
    Chili-0.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Chili-1.jpg
    Chili-1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Chili-2.jpg
    Chili-2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Chili-4.jpg
    Chili-4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 180
  • Chili-5.jpg
    Chili-5.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Chili-6.jpg
    Chili-6.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 177
  • Chili-7.jpg
    Chili-7.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Chili-8.jpg
    Chili-8.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 245
Where are the beans???

Just joking. That looks delicious.

Ha ha, thanks! This is actually the first recipe I've tried without beans and I have to say it's darn good! But I still love my wife's chili w/beans - especially for Sunday football. :grin:

It's a pretty solid recipe! I went to a chili dinner a few years ago where I took a White Chili (from all things bbq) a vegan quinoa version that I really like, and then I also followed this as closely as possible and took it. They all went over insanely well.

This is a nice one because it was so far different from the chili that we were all familiar with, of ground beef, a kit, beans, etc. There were a few people there who don't like beans in general-so they were in heaven with this dish.

Also, I do the same thing and always get the 'fire roasted' option when I'm buying tomatoes, regardless of what the recipe calls for.

Super good lookin chili. Like you, my wife's chili is pretty darn good, but maybe I can use this recipe to compete with her. Or, maybe, 2 good chili recopies is better than one...

It's a pretty solid recipe! I went to a chili dinner a few years ago where I took a White Chili (from all things bbq) a vegan quinoa version that I really like, and then I also followed this as closely as possible and took it. They all went over insanely well.

This is a nice one because it was so far different from the chili that we were all familiar with, of ground beef, a kit, beans, etc. There were a few people there who don't like beans in general-so they were in heaven with this dish.

Also, I do the same thing and always get the 'fire roasted' option when I'm buying tomatoes, regardless of what the recipe calls for.

Same here, Meat Church's recipe is far different from the chili my parents made (and now my wife) with beans. But I was surprised how good it came out without beans. My neighbor is one of those people you mentioned who doesn't like beans in general. He said he never would have tried my chili if it had beans. He and his wife loved this batch of Texas chili.

I bought the fire roasted tomatoes as part if the Meat Church recipe, but honestly I'm not sure what "fire roasted" means. Are they supposed to be a little more spicy?

Super good lookin chili. Like you, my wife's chili is pretty darn good, but maybe I can use this recipe to compete with her. Or, maybe, 2 good chili recopies is better than one...

Thanks! And I agree with two good chili recipes being better than one. I'm sure the next time chili is made in our house, it will be my wifes'. :thumb:

Looks good! But way too many tomatoes for me.

I thought so too and worried that it would have a heavy tomato taste, but it didn't turn out that way. I think Meat Church's chili seasoning really took over as the dominant flavor.

Btw, this is the 2nd time I made this Chili since I had brisket that I could add.

The first time was just the hamburger and breakfast sausage, and I did use only half the tomatoes called for. It was actually good too, so I think you can add less tomatoes and still come out with a great tasting chili.

Back