THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Parental Assigned Label
He giveth, and he taketh away.

Found some corned beef flats at Costco a couple weeks ago. Picked two that were similar in size and thickness. In a water bath overnight with a water change. Pastrami on the plan for today.

3yIdMOBl.jpg

skBF31al.jpg

PbNeJTml.jpg

Get up this morning and gotta make lucky pancakes for the kids. Not as gross as Jason’s turkey and beans, but green none the less.

NCHfyHKl.jpg

hEKg9C9l.jpg

Pull out my ole favorite pastrami rub recipe and realize...I’m out of whole black peppercorns. :crazy:

4 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder

So I head out to the store, and as I do I see a black case, leaning against a tree in my front yard, next to the street. Remind myself to grab it when I get home from the store...lol and behold! A pot of gold! Kinda.

cIbYB23l.jpg

Not sure if someone knew I was into BBQ and left it intentionally or if it fell out of a truck and ended up there. I’ll scavenge a few items and dump the rest...but fun to find.

Season the strami and in the PBC. First time I’ve used it in at least 8 months. For some reason I like the bark it puts on pastrami more than even the Lang. Settled into 275 like a champ. It really is as foolproof as it gets.

R1hFiexl.jpg

More later. Got plans for these too.

JvIwTAdl.jpg

It’s brutal Marty. This Sunday night practice is a terrible way to end the weekend. No last minute down time, ruins dinner...plus I barely smoke on Sundays anymore because we are always gone for dinner.

On the other hand, we have the use of an indoor facility and it doesn’t conflict with any other activities....so we deal with it.

I did make some boneless skinless breast tenderloins on the PBC when I pulled the pastrami off. Had a few of those as a snack with some cucumber, pepper, fresh mozzarella, onion, and balsamic salad. It will hold me.

It does smell freaking awesome right now and the wife is already asking when I’m gonna slice it.....so we may break down before I leave.

Well, finished pics don’t do it justice. Let it rest for about 30 min in the pan, sliced a couple tester pieces, and it was AWESOME.

Esh61aNl.jpg

Into the fridge for a while to set up and then used my good slicer to get em thin. Outstanding. Can’t wait for ruebens on the blackstone later this week.

vtW5NYBl.jpg

I’m telling you the PBC ran like a champ and the flavors on the bark are perfect for the pepper and coriander.

Sounds good! I like my barrel cooker also for some things.

Pulled pork is the other thing I have been thinking about going back to cooking on the PBC. I think the smoke profile is much stronger....which I dont like as much on ribs for example.

But I freeze pulled pork in 6oz portions for lunches and such. I have found that the ones I do on the barrel still taste like smoke after a freeze. The ones I do on the Lang are much more subtle.

Back