LSG Pellet Pooper, and new updates?

jrTheSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
jrTheSmoker
Anyone who's purchased a LSG pellet pooper got any updates to share with the group? Flavor you're getting versus what you were expecting? Wood chips closing the gap compared to their IVS or stick burners?

I used a box of the wood chips on my Outlaw OL450 which has a similar short auger and big V-shaped firebox on the end instead of a small circular one in the middle. The OL450 also has an auger motor that's much stronger than the standard one you find on Pit Boss, etc.

I had no jams or other feed trouble, and the chip/pellet mix burned just fine.

As for flavor, I really didn't notice a difference.

My guess is that the little chips are so dry that they burn too clean to add much smoke flavor.

I used a box of the wood chips on my Outlaw OL450 which has a similar short auger and big V-shaped firebox on the end instead of a small circular one in the middle. The OL450 also has an auger motor that's much stronger than the standard one you find on Pit Boss, etc.

I had no jams or other feed trouble, and the chip/pellet mix burned just fine.

As for flavor, I really didn't notice a difference.

My guess is that the little chips are so dry that they burn too clean to add much smoke flavor.

I was wondering about this. I live in N FL so I wouldn't leave the pellets in the hopper, so I wonder if it would be good to just add some pellets, but a few days before add some water to the chips, then after a soaking, drain the water off and let them dry to 15-20% moisture before cooking.

I really like the swings on the LSG, and the firepot design is rally what I want along with the motor and auger design that produces more smoke, but wondering if I could get close to the same thing on a Camp Chef Woodwind Pro with chunks in the new burn box.

Back