THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Colonelrklink

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Richard
Good evening all. Ok almost pulled the trigger on my LSG large ISV. I had asked questions and was given great advise by the many who responded, but I have 1 final question I need to grasp. I have a Large BGE and looking to get the ISV for the extra capacity and smoke flavor. I have read so much and understand I will never get the smoke flavor with out going offset.

I use Lump charcoal BGE brand and wood chunks from Western.

So I ask you will I see a difference in a IVS smoker as compared to the BGE or should I just stick with my Egg? I am a little scared to fund a new IVS if I am only getting capacity and not objective #2 the smoke flavor.

I understand the offset would address both yet i am 60+ retired and just do not know if I can handle the fire managment needed for an offset. It is something I have never done.

Thank you each for any wisdom and insight.

ColonelKlink

I haven’t had an ivs, but I have had a gravity feed in the past and I’m going to go out on a limb and say you will get far better smoke flavor from an ivs than you will with an egg (I cooked on a kamado for 8 years). Let’s see what others with ivs experience think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You'll probably get a different smoke profile. The bge is more of a charcoal flavor due to the limited airflow. The IVS is a lot closer to stick burner flavor. Some confuse bitter charcoal flavor with smoke flavor. You'll definitely notice a difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the words of wisdom. Good to hear that I should expect a different flavor profile. I was under the impression that the smoke profile has alot to do with the air flow being much greater in the offset vs ths slow airflow and almost smoldering of wood in the IVS / Ceramic, thus my question.

Good to know I should expect something better than the BGE. I thank you for your time.

Colonel

I've got traditional and reverse flow offsets, a kamado, and an IVS. The kamado almost never gets used anymore because I just don't like the "stale" flavor I get from the minimal airflow. The offsets I love and I think they produce the best BBQ, but they are labor intensive and I don't always have time to give them the attention they need.

Then there's my insulated cabinet smoker... much better smoke flavor than my kamado and just a bit lighter flavor than what I get from my offset smokers. It took me quite a few cooks to learn how to get the best smoke flavor from my cabinet smoker, but now that I've got it down I can put out some amazing BBQ with it. I do use a fan system to keep temps solid, and that definitely complicates the process a bit.

As @Dweverett stated you should really look into Ironside Smokers is you're looking for a quality product. It will allow you to treat the cooker as an insulated cabinet smoker, and also as a stickburner. Internally it is "over-built" and has a ton of extra bracing so the frame can withstand the intense heat from a wood burning fire without fatiguing or warping.

Overall IVS is leaps and bounds better than a kamado. Kamado's were great 20+ years ago when there wasn't many other "set it and forget it" type cookers, but now they really are showing their flaws compared to other types of cookers.

First let me start by saying I'mnot trying to start an argument. I don't know why people are saying stale taste by kamado. I run my intake way more closed then my exhaust and I like the taste. I do have a T&K reverse flow cabinet, and like it also. If you live close to Todd check him out. Both are pretty sweet smokers in my opinion.

I have a lsg vertical cabinet and a Weber summit charcoal grill. I sold the summit. I didn't like the smoked food off of it. I love my lsg vertical cabinet. The food off it is great. Use a good clean burning charcoal and non kiln-dried wood in the cabinet, and you will be super pleased with the food that comes out of it. I have the lsg, a Yoder YS640 and an UDS and the food off of the lsg is the best.

I have a large BGE and a LSG mini cabinet. I purchased the cabinet for the same reason, extra capacity, and have no problem getting smoke flavor. I still use the egg quite a bit for steaks and burgers, or when I'm doing a quick cook. The best tip that I read here regarding the cabinet smoker was to use small wood chunks and not the big baseball size. Hope this helps, good luck!

Back