THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
I was thankful to discover some reasonable flanken-cut beef ribs this week after an incredibly anemic showing last week at the DoD Commissary.

XpgR1LWl.jpg

This morning, I dragged my Momma to the Talin Market on Rte 66/Central Ave... Kalbi Marinade... fresh cucumber kimchi and fresh napa cabbage kimchi.... yaki mandu...

Between monsoon storms 'round the 505, I fired up the 26er.

Fd8mTESl.jpg

tYUk4Erl.jpg

Bit of rice... Yaki Mandu... Kimchis...

0ygJwail.jpg

ULC will roll in and put me to shame in a few minutes (or so I hope).

Fun to introduce Mom, a VA country girl, to Korean fare. She crushed it.

Kalbi is one of my favorite things to come off the grill.

I have never tried them cut flanken style, though. I take individual ribs, lay them meat side down on the cutting board and slice about an 1/8” thick most of the way through, then flip the meat out at the “hinge”, turn it 90 degrees and repeat, Jacobs Ladder style. I end up (if I don’t screw up) with a long, thin strip of meat, which is real easy to handle on the grill. The marinade penetrates better and there’s more surface area for charring.

I have no idea where I got that technique from.

Your cooks never disappoint - looks fantabulous. Good on you for treating Mom to a great meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent! You can't get more Korean than that!

I have 2 weeks trip to Korea booked for September. My wife and I will visit Seoul, Jeju island, and Busan. Can't wait!

Kalbi is one of my favorite things to come off the grill.

I have never tried them cut flanken style, though. I take individual ribs, lay them meat side down on the cutting board and slice about an 1/8” thick most of the way through, then flip the meat out at the “hinge”, turn it 90 degrees and repeat, Jacobs Ladder style. I end up (if I don’t screw up) with a long, thin strip of meat, which is real easy to handle on the grill. The marinade penetrates better and there’s more surface area for charring.

I have no idea where I got that technique from.

That's how they do it in Korea. English cut is the traditional Korean style. Flanken or LA cut is American style. Both are excellent. But if I'm paying and eating at a restaurant, I want the English cut.

That 26 has been getting the love and attention it deserves, and it looks like it's treating y'all well in return!

Nice cook as always. Kalbi is one of those things that floats around in the back of what's left of my mind like "yeah I should try that", and this post confirms that yeah, indeed, I do need to try that.

Back