Is it a mistake to season a brisket the night before the morning cook?

Chett. L

is one Smokin' Farker
Is it a mistake to season a brisket the night before the morning cook?
Typically how far down does the salt penetrate into a approximate 14 pound Brisket by seasoning the night before. If 2 hours of seasoning before a smoke seems to be a common method, just wondering if seasoning the night before could be considered too much time.

Thank you.

Anecdotal but I've found low-grade briskets came out a bit drier when seasoned the night before. Last time I cooked a Creekstone USDA Choice I seasoned it before firing up the stick burner so it sat around an hour or so, and came out better than the others

salt pulls moisture out and that takes time, not sure it would get very far over night, as it cooks and pores open it will start melting the salt and get more in it that way. I prefer to keep the moisture in my self these days.

I season brisket in the early morning and cook it overnight, almost the same thing. No problems here. Nicely marbled meat always provides a juicy result.

Seasoning the night before is done all the time.

If the brisket is dry, it was the cook themselves.

I've done it both ways. I've noticed that the brisket has a bit more of a cured texture and appearance (firmer, drier, pinker) when the salt is allowed to penetrate overnight. Personally, I don't want that, but I think it comes down to personal preference.

If you're worried about seasoning and drying it out, then I would inject w/ something "safe". Beef broth at a minimum. It depends on the cut (Prime, Choice, or Select). The first two are totally fine.

I do this all the time and the briskets always turn out better. In essence you are dry brining. I also do this uncovered in the fridge overnight on a rack in a sheet tray. Develops a pellicle which helps smoke adhere.

Back