THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
shoe
BD5962F6-7829-4575-A585-3C7B714966DC.jpeg2C7ACFB2-A3ED-45A0-8F22-B1FF2B524BE3.jpegSo we had a mixup with 2 steers we just had cut and wrapped. (We raise our own beef)
We requested 1 1/2” thick steaks but all were cut to 2”. Not happy with this but it is what it is so need to make the most of it. We usually had them done at 1 1/4” in the past so unsure how to prepare these ideally and looking for advice.
Just go and grill normally or would these be better done reverse sear? Or what is best?
Maybe 2” is even better than 1.5 but thought the experts here would be the people to ask.

Thanks,
Martin

PS: my wife’s birthday supper is tomorrow and she requested steak so I need to figure this out quick!

My instinct would be to treat it like a tri-tip. Reverse sear with smoke, or sous-vide with aromatics to 120 or so, then finish off with a grill sear or butter-baste with aromatics. I have found that butter-basting after doing a reverse sear with smoke gets the best of both worlds ...

And that's a fine-looking steak!

I like to do 2" steaks by smoking them at 200 degrees until they hit 110 internal temp, then finish them on a screaming hot Blackstone for a good seared crust.

Ok
Think i might try a couple both reverse and regular sear as i will have smoker going low for something at same time
Thanks for the suggestions
I will try and post back with results
Much appreciated
Martin

Well a lot will determine how to cook, rare-well done ect, those are some great looking steaks, try 1 by cutting it 1/2 and do a hard quick sear then move over and bring to temp, other 1/2 start on the cooler side and finish with a sear, if you really want to taste the beef just season and cook on the cooler side until you reach favorite temp, you don’t always need to burn meat and seasonings to have a great piece of meat imo

I bake my thick steaks in the toaster oven (it holds a more consistent temp than the stove) at 250 until the IT hits 100 degrees. Then finish by either searing over screaming hot coals on the charcoal grill or searing in a 600 degree plus cast iron pan with clarified butter, thyme, garlic, and rosemary. I heat the pan/sear on the outside gas grill to keep from making a mess in the kitchen. If you have a good quality steak, either of these is better than anything you can get at a steakhouse.

Big fan of reverse sear here. Especially on the thick ones. Give it some low temp smoke (180-200) until 115-120. Sear on hot grill or cast iron skillet).

For me it depends if I want some smoke flavor or not — and usually with steaks I don’t really feel the need. If I want some I’d do a reverse sear with the initial part on the rectec and seared on either the kettle or blackstone. My favorite way though is to sous vide it and then sear it (usually on the blackstone)

Nothing wrong with just grilling it either but at that thickness you’ll probably want some way of finishing it off the direct heat

Good point. My wife likes filets, which I like with a little smoke. Probably like a grilled ribeye more but reverse sear is easy when you’re busy.

Back