THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bigb56

Name or Nickame
Brian
OK so we are old. We don't eat our meat very rare anymore so I'm asking you pros out there for help. I buy the choice and prime steaks from Costco that are 1.25 to 1.5" thick. I've been cutting them in 1/2 sideways to get 2 thinner steaks but I'm thinking of trying to cook one steak as is this time. My plan is to sear them on the Blackstone griddle then move them over to the gas grill. If we want medium (still pink but not bloody) which way would work best, make them thinner or leave thick and cook slower?

Why not cook on the blackstone from start to finish? thick steaks are better done hot and fast. for medium i would cook 4 minutes per side then check for doneness and add a minute per side if not to your likeing.

Why not cook on the blackstone from start to finish? thick steaks are better done hot and fast. for medium i would cook 4 minutes per side then check for doneness and add a minute per side if not to your likeing.

I will try that at some point, I've thought about it. I have a tailgater with a griddle on one side and grill on the other. Once I get up the nerve to try a steak cooked completely on the griddle I'll give it a try, it's just hard to imagine it coming out as good as grilled but if I don't try it I'll never know.

I will try that at some point, I've thought about it. I have a tailgater with a griddle on one side and grill on the other. Once I get up the nerve to try a steak cooked completely on the griddle I'll give it a try, it's just hard to imagine it coming out as good as grilled but if I don't try it I'll never know.

Start off with some neutral oil like Vegetable oil on the griddle. Then after your last flip, add a tablespoon or two of butter and flipity flip every 15 seconds to get a nice final sear on both sides with the butter.

Flipity,flip,flop will get you where you're going! Drop on a hot surface, cook 1 min., flip cook 1 min, flip and repeat until internal of 140*, let rest 5 min, enjoy medium goodness.
The thoughts on this are a hot surface will drive the juices out the top so by flipping constantly the juices stay put in the middle. Also each flip creates a darkening crust for pure beauty.
Ed

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299940

Last edited:
My family likes thicker ribeye steaks cooked rare to medium rare. I used to cook steaks doing a sear, now I prefer a reverse sear, I find it cooks through a little more evenly.
On my Weber gas grill I cook them indirect, one burner on. I keep the lodge griddle on the grate over the lit burner to keep warm. Take the steaks off at 125, light all burners and get the griddle ripping hot. Then sear for 1-2 minutes a side. Topped with a little butter.

I'm thinking of two solutions to consider:

(1) Would be to buy a boneless rib primal, (or a whole beef tenderloin aka fillet mignon) trim it lightly, then put it in the freezer until it firms up. Next, slice steaks at whatever thickness you want.

(2) Cook one steak to share for dinner, BUT serve it family style with board dressings of herbs and/or butter and some dipping oil. Have your Blackstone griddle hot, so in the event any slice is too rare... all you need to do is zap it.

tdOk1v0.jpg

Back