I guess you have to read the small print... Fireboard

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
So I had been cooking with a Cyber Q and didn't really like it. One of the things that sold me on the Fireboard was the internal battery and the "up to 30 hours" of cook time on a single charge. Imagine my dismay when I used to it cook a turkey for Thanksgiving and it went out after 5 hours. Now, I hooked a cord up to it and continued the cook, which isn't all that big a deal but going cordless was part of the purchase) I called Fireboard, and they explained the 30 hour run time is when you are using it without a fan, and 5 hours with a fan is normal. Are you kidding me? So as a thermometer it is good for 30hours, but as a controller 5 is the most I can expect? Now, I'm not knocking the product, I really like it, but I found that little tidbit of info to be kind of important. My fault for not doing more research. Anyway, I hate running a drop cord, so real life experience, how long will I get out of one of their portable external battery packs. As it is, I wouldn't think of trying to get through a butt or brisket without pluggin in.

I just moved from Florida to Georgia. The way our patio and garage are set up, I have limited access to outlets. I bought a Jackery power inverter and used it on my FireBoard and fan when I cooked 12 pork butts the other night. Didn’t even put a dent in the Jackery. I use it to run my Yoder Pellet and Masterbuilt gravity as well. Don’t know about their external battery pack, but the Jackery has served me well so far!

Yes, I know if I get a large battery pack it will carry it for hours, I was specifically wondering about that little battery pack they sell.

I have what I believe is a 20,000mah battery that I plug mine into. I will usually get around 10 hours on the internal battery if cooking lower temps. Increase to 280+ where you are using the fan quite a bit more, then the time drops fast. Sounds about right 5-6 hours for a turkey. The 17 pounder I did for Thanksgiving only took about 3 hours, plus an hour to get the pit up to temp. Cooked at 320 degrees, so I didn’t have a problem with the Fireboard making it through the cook without plugging in. The external battery will actually recharge the Fireboard, so in theory, you could pull the battery and recharge it while the Fireboard is still going.

Longest cook I have had was 26 hours on the Jr. using the Fireboard and external battery without trying to recharge, and I still had some juice left. Was cooking around 250 that time.

When I used the Fireboard2 Drive with fan on battery power on my Limo Jr I consistently got 11.5 hrs of cook time at 275 with 20% battery still left. I was using the smaller Guru Pit viper fan. Are you using the larger fan?

Do a search for "portable power station" on Amazon and you'll find a ton of them that will drive the fireboard and fan for hours. I see the fan uses about 8 watts and the FB is probably nominal. Any unit with something in the 200Wh range will give you plenty of power. 200WH x .85 = 170 / 8watts = 21.25 hrs. As an added bonus, you will be able to the use the portable power station for many other uses beside just running your fan. It's an entirely different conversation, but these portable power stations can run your WiFi router, TV, lights, etc. in the event of a power outage.

Last edited:
I’m a big Fireboard fan, but do feel like they must not be as clear about this limitation as they should be as you’re far from the first to share this frustration. I’ve never tried to run a fan more than an hour or two without a cord since there’s an outlet just a few feet from my cookers. I hope a battery pack or power station restores your enjoyment of the product.

I was looking at the fireboard and confused by the different probes. After I read enough I figured out only the pro model supported the Type K pro thermocouple. Guess if I was smart enough to be pro I should know that. They did offer a pro type probe for the standard board, It's extra though. I don't think the large standard probe would fit thru my smoker port

When I used the Fireboard2 Drive with fan on battery power on my Limo Jr I consistently got 11.5 hrs of cook time at 275 with 20% battery still left. I was using the smaller Guru Pit viper fan. Are you using the larger fan?

I have the Fireboard 1 and the Fireboard fan. I just did a butt cook a couple of weeks ago and it ran 8hrs with no problems. Still had nearly 50% battery left. I will mention that I am in a VERY mild climate though, and the fan did not have to work hard to keep me in range. If you are in a colder climate, it might need the fan more to keep temps up. I don't know that, it's just a guess.

I have the Fireboard 1 and the Fireboard fan. I just did a butt cook a couple of weeks ago and it ran 8hrs with no problems. Still had nearly 50% battery left. I will mention that I am in a VERY mild climate though, and the fan did not have to work hard to keep me in range. If you are in a colder climate, it might need the fan more to keep temps up. I don't know that, it's just a guess.

My fireboard (very early model) seemingly doesn’t use electricity at all. Using althe smallest bbq guru fan it easily runs a whole brisket cook. (This is on an insulated cooker).

Im sure there is a ton of variables considering fan draw, but i also wonder if the internal battery size has changed over the years.

Back