THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flinger

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Flinger
Hey folks,

We are smoking a couple of briskets on Monday, July 3 to be served July 4.

Want to hold for about 12-14 hours, wrapped in butcher paper.

2 options, right now:

1. Pack it in ice chest and towels - a little concerned with the expected hold length.

2. Put in oven warmer - but don't have temp control below 200.

Would like to hold at 145 - 160. But that means precision...

Would a quick purchase of a Masterbuilt electric smoker with digital temperature control work down to those temperatures?

Or - do ya'll think the old fashioned way with an ice chest prepped with hot water and towels do for 2 briskets?

Blessings... and, happy 4th!

Gary

If you have, or can acquire, a couple of turkey roasters, those will work well. I've used these for 15+ hour holds at ~160*.

Awesome. Thanks. Do you think I could "stack" a couple of wrapped briskets or just stick to one?

With the Hamilton Beach model (18 quart) that I use, it would be a tight fit. Would depend on finished sizes of your briskets as well. If you did stack, I would probably rotate them a couple of times during the hold.

With the Hamilton Beach model (18 quart) that I use, it would be a tight fit. Would depend on finished sizes of your briskets as well. If you did stack, I would probably rotate them a couple of times during the hold.

Ok guys - thanks. I just ordered a couple of them. Hope I never have to cook more than 2! lol

I really appreciate ya'lls advise. Great stuff...

Hope all of your BBQ's are perfect! :)

Gary

Most have these, just make sure they are big enough. I was in a pinch 3 weeks ago with this question, and inlaws had a spare one they gave me. I think it's just a basic Sams/Walmart Oyster brand 18qt perhaps (18-22pd turkey advertised) and it held a 15LB brisket perfectly, may could have fit two on top of each other. The lowest number read 150F but had dot's down further probably 1/4 turn of the dial. I put the point of the knob just under the 150F, and it held 148 all night.

My masterbuilt electric smoker goes down to 100F. Its a MES30 and if im just holding already cooked briskets i could fit 4 briskets. I would rather buy a Masterbuilt electric smoker then 4 $50 turkey roasters.

EDIT:
Seems prices really went up since i bought mine. I have the 30 inch digital version. It used to be $249 but i got it on sale for $199. Seems they cost $349 now at Lowes and Home Depot.

EDIT 2:
Amazon has the 30 inch digital version for $235 free prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-130B-Digital-Electric-Smoker/dp/B07CN38M23

Last edited:
Ok guys - thanks. I just ordered a couple of them. Hope I never have to cook more than 2! lol

https://www.alto-shaam.com/en/products/heated-holding/300-s

I've been buying these from restaurant equipment auctions, typically snag them for $100-200. I assume these type of auctions are available anywhere that has failing restaurants....which is basically everywhere...but I love these little warming cabinets. I have 3 now...whoops! :decision:

varmeskap-300-s-alto-shaam.jpeg

Last edited:
the turkey roaster will work great.

for the record cooking multiple briskets you can get a very long hold time due to all that mass. slightly different techniques, you don't bleed off as much heat...anyway good luck

I got a 40" MB from Academy Sports earlier this year for less $ than the 30" just for doing long holds.

I'd advise using a good thermometer that gives you a temp/time graph and test the holding device before using it for a long hold. All of these will have some sort of swing above and below the set temperature and devices with multiple shelves will probably have some variance between the shelves; I assume the alto sham will have the least variance.

Using my Thermoworks Signals, I tested the MB with a probe at each of the 4 shelves and found there was a bit of variation between the shelves and about a 12° swing; when I loaded it with a butt, a brisket, and the water pan and it evened up quite a bit with the swing coming down to about 9°. I'd need to dig out my notes but I think setting it to 155° kept me in a good holding temp and out of the danger zone on all 4 shelves.

Back