Hold

Flinger

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Flinger
Hey folks,

We are smoking a couple of briskets on Monday, July 3 to be served July 4.

Want to hold for about 12-14 hours, wrapped in butcher paper.

2 options, right now:

1. Pack it in ice chest and towels - a little concerned with the expected hold length.

2. Put in oven warmer - but don't have temp control below 200.

Would like to hold at 145 - 160. But that means precision...

Would a quick purchase of a Masterbuilt electric smoker with digital temperature control work down to those temperatures?

Or - do ya'll think the old fashioned way with an ice chest prepped with hot water and towels do for 2 briskets?

Blessings... and, happy 4th!

Gary

If you have, or can acquire, a couple of turkey roasters, those will work well. I've used these for 15+ hour holds at ~160*.

Awesome. Thanks. Do you think I could "stack" a couple of wrapped briskets or just stick to one?

With the Hamilton Beach model (18 quart) that I use, it would be a tight fit. Would depend on finished sizes of your briskets as well. If you did stack, I would probably rotate them a couple of times during the hold.

With the Hamilton Beach model (18 quart) that I use, it would be a tight fit. Would depend on finished sizes of your briskets as well. If you did stack, I would probably rotate them a couple of times during the hold.

Ok guys - thanks. I just ordered a couple of them. Hope I never have to cook more than 2! lol

I really appreciate ya'lls advise. Great stuff...

Hope all of your BBQ's are perfect! :)

Gary

Most have these, just make sure they are big enough. I was in a pinch 3 weeks ago with this question, and inlaws had a spare one they gave me. I think it's just a basic Sams/Walmart Oyster brand 18qt perhaps (18-22pd turkey advertised) and it held a 15LB brisket perfectly, may could have fit two on top of each other. The lowest number read 150F but had dot's down further probably 1/4 turn of the dial. I put the point of the knob just under the 150F, and it held 148 all night.

My masterbuilt electric smoker goes down to 100F. Its a MES30 and if im just holding already cooked briskets i could fit 4 briskets. I would rather buy a Masterbuilt electric smoker then 4 $50 turkey roasters.

EDIT:
Seems prices really went up since i bought mine. I have the 30 inch digital version. It used to be $249 but i got it on sale for $199. Seems they cost $349 now at Lowes and Home Depot.

EDIT 2:
Amazon has the 30 inch digital version for $235 free prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-130B-Digital-Electric-Smoker/dp/B07CN38M23

Last edited:
Ok guys - thanks. I just ordered a couple of them. Hope I never have to cook more than 2! lol

https://www.alto-shaam.com/en/products/heated-holding/300-s

I've been buying these from restaurant equipment auctions, typically snag them for $100-200. I assume these type of auctions are available anywhere that has failing restaurants....which is basically everywhere...but I love these little warming cabinets. I have 3 now...whoops! :decision:

varmeskap-300-s-alto-shaam.jpeg

Last edited:
the turkey roaster will work great.

for the record cooking multiple briskets you can get a very long hold time due to all that mass. slightly different techniques, you don't bleed off as much heat...anyway good luck

I got a 40" MB from Academy Sports earlier this year for less $ than the 30" just for doing long holds.

I'd advise using a good thermometer that gives you a temp/time graph and test the holding device before using it for a long hold. All of these will have some sort of swing above and below the set temperature and devices with multiple shelves will probably have some variance between the shelves; I assume the alto sham will have the least variance.

Using my Thermoworks Signals, I tested the MB with a probe at each of the 4 shelves and found there was a bit of variation between the shelves and about a 12° swing; when I loaded it with a butt, a brisket, and the water pan and it evened up quite a bit with the swing coming down to about 9°. I'd need to dig out my notes but I think setting it to 155° kept me in a good holding temp and out of the danger zone on all 4 shelves.

Back