THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amateurbbq

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Mike
Hi guys my name is Mike and I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping this is the right place for this discussion. I have been looking to purchase a pellet grill after having had food from my Uncle and Grandfathers Traeger pellet grills. After looking into pellet grills I quickly found there were more than I thought there would be.

My desires for a pellet grill would be something that is dependable, user-friendly and durable without breaking the bank (around $1500 or less). I would also like a larger grill as the one my grandfather has seems to be too small for what I'd want to do at times. I'd mainly be using the grill for smoking with the occasional burger or steak. After visiting this site among others during research I have eliminated Traegers, GMG and Q450. Memphis grills are out of my price range and the MAK 1 is too small for what I want not to mention more than what I want to spend after I would have to buy all the accessories to get close to what I'd want. The FEC PG500 appears too small as well for what I'd want and more than I'd want to pay for the limited cooking area. I have also personally went to look at Yoders and although they appear to be a great grill I think for their price tag I can get a different grill with more features. The two grills I have narrowed my search to currently is the REC TEC 680 and Blaz'n GridIron grill.

The advantages I see with the Blaz'n Grill is (1) more cooking space with the included second shelf, (2) included meat probe which controls grill function once the meat reaches the desired temp, (3) removable firepot for easy clean up, (4) Made in USA and (5) current WIFI capabilities. I did find the firepot was made of steel and not stainless steel. Not sure if any of these features are important or worth the extra price.

The advantages for the REC TEC is (1) 6 year warranty, (2) largest hopper at 40Lbs, (3) Price ($500 cheaper), (4) extra smoke mode/full temp mode on the PID controller (5) shorter auger from being in center of pit which I was told will prevent jamming more compared to a side mounted pellet unit and (6) all 304 stainless steel internal parts including the firepot. The rep for REC TEC said they are working on WIFI capabilities but its not ready yet. Also would the meat probe advantage of the Blaz'n be eliminated by adding a thermometer product such as Fireboard?

Any advice to help me decide between these two or some other smokers I have not considered would be much appreciated. If anyone has had problems it would be nice to know this too as finding negative experiences can be hard to find and I want to make sure I don't fall victim to marketing over a quality product.

Out of your 2 choices I would go Blazin. American made, heavier built, and more features. I looked hard at the REc Tec's before buying a Yoder, which I am very happy with. I actually had one in the cart, but I just couldn't make myself do it. I didn't like that for the price, I had to assemble it myself. Most Rec-Tec owners seem happy, but I think any of the American made cookers, are a step above on construction.

The Blaz'n Grill sounds like the winner to me......wifi and USA made! But, I know the Rec Tec people rave about their smokers, so it seems like you really can't do wrong with either.

I too am a loyal and happy RecTec user. For my needs it is perfect, and the price can't be beat. The other smokers mentioned are wonderful also, but they didn't offer any additional features that would justify the additional cost based on my needs.

You really have to prioritize your wants and needs, including your budget, and choose the option that is most appropriate.

I will say that you really can't go wrong with any of the options mentioned. Once you finish agonizing with the review / decision process you will be happily smoking with no regrets. At least that's how it worked for me.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Since you said you're open to other suggestions you should at least check out the GrillaGrills "Silverbac" and see if it's to your liking. Great company out of Michigan with some really nice people and excellent customer service. Also a very large fan group on Facebook you could check out as well... very open to asking questions and lots of members have other pellet smokers so they can give a good comparison.

http://grillagrills.com/grills/silverbac-wood-pellet-grill/

And here's the Facebook fan page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/823247501112140/?ref=bookmarks

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Back