Grilling - open or closed lid

When grilling do you keep lid open or closed ? Why ?

• My grill's supposed to come with a top lid ?

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Isn't that why it came with a lid ?

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • I mix it up as the cook nears completion

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Depends how I'm feeling that day

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
It depends on what I am grilling. Most of the time I do both (cover and uncover) I'm doing tri tip on the webber this afternoon, and I will sear it first with the lid off and then move the coals and let it go indirect with the lid on.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I grill [frequently] and am really grilling-high heat, tender meat, short time, develop sear-- I almost never close a lid. This applies to charcoal, wood coals, or gas. To me grilling is open cooking.

When I cook indirect on a grill, then I close the lid most of the time. Indirect is of course slower, and there is time for smoke flavor to develop.

Don't forget about the seagulls. I have family with Bungalows in Broad Channel on Jamaica Bay and the seagulls sit on the roof waiting for an opportunity to steal the food right off the grill. If you step two feet away with the lid open that hot dog is gone.

My sister-in-law had a gull swipe the hot dog right out of her hand at Jones Beach.

I use a gasser for grilling and I guess I leave the lid down for a good part of the time. I'll leave the top up for a little while ater I've got the grates heated up for searing, then I usually move everything over the the other side for indirect cooking and leave the top down. So I guess I'm about 60/40 Top Down, Top Up. Down to get to high heat, up for searing, down indirect.

Yes. It all depends on what I'm doing. Fajitas get cooked hot enough that by the time I work to one end of the grill it's time to flip them over again. Steak is similar but the lid is closed some. Hamburgers get more enclosed time, once they have firmed up a little and move to a cooler spot on the grill.

Back