Cold weather charcoal grilling

Jim_MI

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Jim
Total grilling newbie here. I live in Northern Michigan where current temps are well below freezing. Most of my grilling is done with propane in summer but I pull my grill indoors in winter to protect it. I miss grilled meals in winter, though. So this winter I wanted to try doing some simple things over charcoal. I purchased a small really cheap kettle-type charcoal grill. I have only used it a few times, but find that using a large bed of Webber hot charcoal just does not provide sufficient heat. It takes forever to cook things and I have to keep the lid closed down tightly to keep the heat in. Consequently, the steak (burgers, chicken, etc) have an overwhelmingly strong smoke taste.
Is there a "hotter burning" brand of charcoal I could try?
Other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I have found B & B briquettes burn hotter than Kingsford and also lump will burn hotter just not as long. I am also a Michigan guy and most Ace hardware have B & B and Home Depot's have Royal Oak lump. Give them a try.

Depending on what you're cooking, I might also suggest a Vortex to help provide more control for your heat.

It generally does great with high indirect radiant heat on the sides, but also some killer direct over the top.

She's done really well down into the 20s and 10s on the NM High Plains... but I don't have grilling experience with her North of NE Indiana.

Just something to consider.

Total grilling newbie here. I live in Northern Michigan where current temps are well below freezing. Most of my grilling is done with propane in summer but I pull my grill indoors in winter to protect it. I miss grilled meals in winter, though. So this winter I wanted to try doing some simple things over charcoal. I purchased a small really cheap kettle-type charcoal grill. I have only used it a few times, but find that using a large bed of Webber hot charcoal just does not provide sufficient heat. It takes forever to cook things and I have to keep the lid closed down tightly to keep the heat in. Consequently, the steak (burgers, chicken, etc) have an overwhelmingly strong smoke taste.
Is there a "hotter burning" brand of charcoal I could try?
Other ideas?

if its a cheapy it may be super thin
Do you need a windbreak?

for good hot fires I prefer lump charcoal and second Royal Oak or B&B for brands. Cowboy Charcoal and Frontier arent too bad either.

Last edited:
Plenty cold here with lots of wind. I prefer putting all the coals on one side of the grill. Plenty of heat on that side but a good side of indirect heat for the finish.

Maybe you should get a Weber...

If you are using Weber charcoal that is really good stuff and no longer sold in the states. Maybe the charcoal wasn't ready, use more? I would think a full weber chimney full would be enough. As mentioned the wind might be an issue too. I never had any issues with my WSM even while it's snowing. Keep us posted.

I am wondering if your grill is so thin, that it is retaining the heat necessary to do the cooking? Also, you can get the kettle hinged grates and add charcoal during the cook. Charcoal is going to give off a more smoky taste than propane.

Are you using a chimney to start your coals? I've never had a problem cooking in the cold if I get a full Weber chimney of coals hot and dump it.

As others have suggested, try using some lump and see if that helps. I've also used it during the winter with no issues.

I just cooked flat iron steaks Friday night in my WSCG using Weber charcoal. It was 25 degrees and 10-15 MPH wind, but from the direction the house knocked most of it down. I lit a 90 percent full chimney, let it burn for 15-20 mins, poured it in, used charcoal rake to spread it on one side, put in grate and shut lid for a couple mins. Cooked steaks directly over coals with lid open entire time and was done in about 8 minutes.

Albeit, my Summit charcoal is going to hold more heat, if the smoke is overpowering it sounds like the charcoal might not be fully lit. As others mentioned a chimney is the way to go for that. Also make sure your vents top and bottom are wide open if you want max temps.

When you say you have to "keep lid on to keep the heat in" are you keeping the vents open to let air move thru for combustion. More air is more heat on a kettle. I've used my Webber way below zero and never had issues, as long as the charcoal is not damp.

I used to hate charcoal grills and refused to use them until I finally bought a Weber and realized how good they really can cook. I had a Weber kettle, then a performer before getting the Summit Charcoal. Before the Webers, I always had the problems you described trying to cook on the cheap charcoal grills I tried before that. They had poor venting (a couple of them had no vents below) and poorly designed charcoal grates (or no charcoal grate at all) and the ash would start snuffing out the coals because it didn't fall down below them. This isn't saying that there are not other fabulous charcoal grills besides Weber, but there are lots of cheap imitations that cut corners and don't work well not allowing for proper airflow and ash management.

I've only used a few bags of Weber charcoal, but in my experience it burns long and clean and a little cooler than KBB or lump, but still plenty hot enough to grill with. My WSCG was 550-600 on the dome thermometer after letting it warm up just like 3-5 minutes Friday night.

I am thinking either the charcoal is not fully lit to start or you dont have proper airflow. The strong smoke taste tells me its trying to hard to stay lit.

I am thinking either the charcoal is not fully lit to start or you dont have proper airflow. The strong smoke taste tells me its trying to hard to stay lit.

This was my reaction too. If the charcoal is really burning well you shouldn’t get a lot of smoke flavor even with the lid closed. Starting it in a chimney works very well but the main thing is to make sure it’s pretty well ashes over before you start cooking over briquettes. If you have that and it’s choking out once you start see if you can get some additional airflow into it.

Thanks for all the ideas, guys. My cheapie is not a Weber and is pretty thin walled. I do use a full chimney of charcoal and let it go until everything has white ash on it. I am using a windbreak. Vents are all fully open, but maybe still getting choked off since I doubt my temps are getting to 250F. Next step, I think, would be to try wrapping the kettle and lid with foil for insulation if that can be accomplished without compromising combustion air. I will also look into those hotter brands of charcoal you mentioned.
Thanks again!

There’s no way any charcoal should run at 250 when given enough oxygen. I easily get 500 plus out of any charcoal I’ve tried. There’s nothing wrong with trying other charcoal maybe yours is bad somehow, but I’d be looking closely at the grill over the coals. IMO, all signs point that way...if nothing else if the grill is to thin the coals should be burnt up completely.

Yup, Glitchy - you're right. My daughter gave me a smart probe meat thermometer ("Meater") for Christmas and I had used it on my last attempt. It records both internal meat temp and ambient temp and allows you to go back in time to previous sessions. My grill temp that cold day was at 448F, so I was wrong about my estimate.

Nevertheless, I incorporated some of the suggestions received above to do some burgers tonight. I wrapped the kettle and lid in several layers of crinkled aluminum foil for insulation, making sure to keep vents wide open. I modified my chimney starter to hold more briquettes and left them in there for a lot longer (to the point that my bolt-on chimney extension mod actually melted). Wind was not an issue tonight. I didn't measure grill or meat temps, but these modifications made a great deal of difference. We had a great meal, without overwhelming smoke taste, done within a reasonable cook time.

Many thanks to all - I'm ready to move on to more challenging meals now!

Back