Green seasoned vs dead standing wood for offset

Headgear

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
David
Does anyone know if a dead-standing tree that has been cut and then seasoned until dry, produces as good of smoke as a fresh-cut (live) then seasoned tree? I have a large hickory tree that has been standing dead for two to three years. The wood is solid. It was about fifty feet tall and we cut it up into ten-foot pieces to get it out of the woods. My moisture meter says that most of it is around 24 to 28 percent moisture so I will be splitting and seasoning it until it is below 20.

I am also going to cut a live tree to season for the future. I'm just wondering if the smoke would be the same. I'm guessing that it won't make much, if any difference. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you

Buddy of mine had a dead pecan tree fall during the hurricane last month. Some parts around squirrel and coon holes were rotten some where moss was present, but center was good. Didn't smell as strong as a live tree cut then seasoned, so wondering if moisture or rot took some of the natural oils out while it stood.

Haven't cooked with it yet, so will be interested in what others have to say.

Back