THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks great by the pool! Seems like everyone is getting the drip guard on the door now. I bet he makes that standard soon since he’s not charging for it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He charges about 30 dollars for it now. Not too bad for something that will keep the drips down.

The paint overspray burned off during seasoning on mine. Crank it up into the 300 degrees area and it should burn away soon.

The Limo Jr. looks like it was made to fit where you have it. Pretty backyard you have.

Thanks. We had leftover cinder blocks from the new build, so the wife got creative and is making benches. The rope weave on the left is complete, the right is still under construction. (and the yard needs to be mowed, but there was this smoker that needed picked up in Georgia:-D

So how did the seasoning go?

Also, if you didn’t already do, put a piece of folded foil several layers thick above the charcoal under the lid of the charcoal chute. Will keep that seal in better shape.

Last edited:
So how did the seasoning go?

Also, if you didn’t already do, put a piece of folded foil several layers thick above the charcoal under the lid of the charcoal chute. Will keep that seal in better shape.

Seasoning went fine, with one exception. I set the Cyber Q to 300, and the temp on the Maverick XR50 showed a constant 297 with no fluctuation over 3 hours. I'll take that all day long. But I have a drip of something that came from the top of the charcoal chute. It did not come from where the gasket is, it came in between where the bottom of the chute meets the top of the smoker. Ran down the side, it is sticky as hell, and doesn't seem to want to come off. So far I've washed it, and used a little cleaner wax. The wax took most of it off, but it is still there. Since the smoker is a gloss metallic black, it is noticeable. Which leads me to the next question. Is anyone using any kind of car wax, ceramic coat or synthetic polish on their paint to keep it clean?

I really want to get your opinions on how the flavor compares to the stick burner that you sold. Congrats on a nice cooker!!

I really want to get your opinions on how the flavor compares to the stick burner that you sold. Congrats on a nice cooker!!

I bought a couple of racks of ribs to play with this weekend, and will being doing pulled pork and pulled chicken for 25 next weekend. It's gonna be tough to beat the flavor I got on the Sniper, it was fantastic.

Seasoning went fine, with one exception. I set the Cyber Q to 300, and the temp on the Maverick XR50 showed a constant 297 with no fluctuation over 3 hours. I'll take that all day long. But I have a drip of something that came from the top of the charcoal chute. It did not come from where the gasket is, it came in between where the bottom of the chute meets the top of the smoker. Ran down the side, it is sticky as hell, and doesn't seem to want to come off. So far I've washed it, and used a little cleaner wax. The wax took most of it off, but it is still there. Since the smoker is a gloss metallic black, it is noticeable. Which leads me to the next question. Is anyone using any kind of car wax, ceramic coat or synthetic polish on their paint to keep it clean?

I can’t quite understand where you are describing the leak. I occasionally get a drip on longer cooks from the smoke stack onto the top of the smoker. I use a citrus spray cleaner and it seems to cut right through the grease. Haven’t tried any auto wax, but the thought has crossed my mind.

I can’t quite understand where you are describing the leak. I occasionally get a drip on longer cooks from the smoke stack onto the top of the smoker. I use a citrus spray cleaner and it seems to cut right through the grease. Haven’t tried any auto wax, but the thought has crossed my mind.
It's very strange where it came from. Basically the top of the charcoal chute has two plates, the stationary plate and the hinged lid, with the gasket in between. The leak came from between the bottom stationary plate and the top of the smoker. There was no meat in the cooker, just spray, but I wouldn't think it would matter anyway. Had to be something left there in assembly I would think. I'm not a welder, so I'm not sure what it could be. I guess it could have been something from the paint stuck in there. Whatever is was seems to have pretty much etched itself into the paint. It looks like it goes away when you clean it, but as soon as it dries it is back. Probably wouldn't see it on any other color...... I'm probably going to put a synthetic protectant on the paint and see if that helps any.....

glSyHIxh.jpg

Me too

I got the call a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, after having weeks free before Scott gave the all clear, both my co-worker and I have been covered up in obligations and haven't been able to make the trip. Looks like 2nd week of August will be the first smoke date for mine. Not sure if the anticipation was worse before it was ready or now, knowing it is just sitting there.

I got the call a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, after having weeks free before Scott gave the all clear, both my co-worker and I have been covered up in obligations and haven't been able to make the trip. Looks like 2nd week of August will be the first smoke date for mine. Not sure if the anticipation was worse before it was ready or now, knowing it is just sitting there.
I hear you. After selling my other pit, I missed Memoral Day and 4th of July without a smoker. It's hard to wait. First cook in the morning.....

It's very strange where it came from. Basically the top of the charcoal chute has two plates, the stationary plate and the hinged lid, with the gasket in between. The leak came from between the bottom stationary plate and the top of the smoker. There was no meat in the cooker, just spray, but I wouldn't think it would matter anyway. Had to be something left there in assembly I would think. I'm not a welder, so I'm not sure what it could be. I guess it could have been something from the paint stuck in there. Whatever is was seems to have pretty much etched itself into the paint. It looks like it goes away when you clean it, but as soon as it dries it is back. Probably wouldn't see it on any other color...... I'm probably going to put a synthetic protectant on the paint and see if that helps any.....

glSyHIxh.jpg

Just getting to this thread. Has anything changed with this? Boy, you have one beautiful pit! How much extra was the larger tires and making the racks SS?

I’d contact Southern Q and see what they say about it. Seems like if it’s not covered by them they would at least know how to clean it.

Naw, I'm not going to bother Scott with it. It was a one time deal, only during the first seasoning. I'm not sure what it was, for all I know it could have been something that collected there on the trip home in an open trailer. I drove through a couple of rain showers so it could have been interstate grease for all I know. Whatever it was did not come from where the pit seals, but under it, and was sticky as heck. I got probably 85% of it off with a micro fiber and car polish. I'm going to let the paint cure some more, then hit it with some dual action polishing compound and a Porter Cable buffer, and expect it will take care of it. Then I'm going to put a Synthetic or ceramic coating on the whole thing. As it is now, if the pit wasn't metallic black, you probably wouldn't even see it. I'm just kind of OCD. So far I've done 4 pork butts and 2 racks of spares without reoccurrence.

The SS shelf upgrade is $75 each, I don't remember off hand what the upgraded casters were, but they are worth it imo, if for no other reason than the regular ones are red, which would not be bad on a red pit, but not so much with other colors.

Back