First Whole Pig cook....and then some! **Pics & slideshows**

WOW!! Outstanding, Brian. I'm curious, how did the butts in the cavity turn out? Did they get up to pulling temp? That's a great technique. What happened to the pig head? Looks like a lot of great grub and really satisfied customers!! Thanks for sharing.

Bob

WOW!! Outstanding, Brian. I'm curious, how did the butts in the cavity turn out? Did they get up to pulling temp? That's a great technique. What happened to the pig head? Looks like a lot of great grub and really satisfied customers!! Thanks for sharing.

Bob

I would say the pig was a little overdone, but it was very moist and not dry in the least and had a good flavor to it. I was fiddling with the camera while Ty was pulling the butts out of the cavity and putting them in pans. Very little fat leftover and everything fell off the bones. The texture was excellent for pulled sammies, and everyone was scrambling to keep the line of customers moving.

I have a feeling Bill has plans for the pig head, he kept raving about cheek meat!

Great cook. Thanks for sharing. Do you feel it is worth it to do a whole hog over just a bunch of butts or is it more of a novelty thing?

Great cook. Thanks for sharing. Do you feel it is worth it to do a whole hog over just a bunch of butts or is it more of a novelty thing?

Not sure if it was a novelty or not? I had heard of cooking butts to increase the yeild, but I had a concern the butts might not get done, but we gave it 20 hours and it turned out fine. It was the first time Ty had cooked a pig on his Klose, so he got feedback on what to expect. He is going to have the chamber modified so the center post can be removed to accomadate a larger hog.

Last edited:
I would say the pig was a little overdone, but it was very moist and not dry in the least and had a good flavor to it. I was fiddling with the camera while Ty was pulling the butts out of the cavity and putting them in pans. Very little fat leftover and everything fell off the bones. The texture was excellent for pulled sammies, and everyone was scrambling to keep the line of customers moving.

I have a feeling Bill has plans for the pig head, he kept raving about cheek meat![/QUOTE]

That's why I asked.:laugh: In the end, how much of the injection flavor was left in the meat? I bet the surrounding neighbors were smellin hog heaven all through those 20 hours. Did anyone try a bit of the crispy skin?

Bob

I have a feeling Bill has plans for the pig head, he kept raving about cheek meat![/QUOTE]

That's why I asked.:laugh: In the end, how much of the injection flavor was left in the meat? I bet the surrounding neighbors were smellin hog heaven all through those 20 hours. Did anyone try a bit of the crispy skin?

Bob

The skin wasn't crispy, kind of leathery and it got tossed. The original plan was to do 2 pigs, but we kinda got beef happy! I was prepared to haul out my La Caja China, but we are saving it for another time.

We will probably do something once a month and focus on comp meats to practice on. Mohammed the owner wants to do a Lamb throwdown, so it could get interesting!

Back