First Look ~ New SpitJack 11" Brisket Knife

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Called a "BBQ Competition-Chef Series Knife" in my email last week which contained an offer that sounded too good to be true. The details were: List price $40, Every day price $27, and SpitJack Club Member (one time) price of $20 with free returns. So I pulled the trigger.
hNeY2md.jpg

I'm not a flavor-of-the month kind of guy, I do have a collection of knives, both sporting and kitchen styles, and I shoot from the hip when it comes to likes and dis-likes of any product. Clearly it's too soon for a full review.... but here are my "First Look" observations.
1. $20 - That's hard to ignore, but will it be worth the regular price which seems reasonable.
2. The box is really nice, it has a padded cut-out that swallows the knife, it's heavy duty, and has a magnetic closure on the front flap.
3. The design and lines are sharp it has a full tang, there is good fit and finish work on the triple rivets, handle and pommel. Other than a reverse pommel angle, the SpitJack kinda sorta resembles some Dalstrong models of carving knives.
4. The grip fits my hand well, the knife feels hefty, yet amazingly balanced to me.
5. The blade is very sharp out of the box and passes the paper test all the way to the rounded point with no problem at all. I'm guessing it has a blade angle between 14° and 17°.
6. I would call the blade semi-flexible, meaning flexible enough to follow contours of something like a bone-in ham, but stout enough for very straight cuts on something deep like a prime rib.

Technically a Granton edge slicing/carving knife here is how it compares to my current favorite carving knife which is a 14" Victorinox brand:
FIua3Xt.jpg

7. The SpitJack is 29 grams heavier than the Victorinox.
8. The Victorinox has a textured Fibrox handle which is more generous in width and it curls at the butt to reduce slippage. It too is very well balanced. It's cost was around $45.
9. The SpitJack has wider grooves and they are farther up on the cheek.
10. The Victorinox has a higher blade height for more cutting board clearance which may seem trivial.... but it comes into play if you are wearing a hot glove under a Nitrile glove.
11. I have not seen a county of origin or detailed description of the steel on the SpitJack. My Victorinox is Swss made.
12. The sheer size of the Victorinox is great for showing off, and I can get a true one-stroke cut everytime.... but I have to store mine on a magnetic knife holder and it's a pain to wrap up when transporting to an event.

Bottom line, I'm stoked to field test my new SpitJack slicer. I'm very particular about lightly honing all my knives regularly so I'm not the best when it comes to commenting on the life of an edge. Biggest take-away: With the free return option, I should have tried to order 3 or 4 on my special offer, these may have been nice for Christmas presents.... BUT it's only March, so if I like it $27 is not out of the question.

Bruce from Spit Jack says it's made in China. $18.87 on Amazon. I have one on the way. Thanks for the review.

The $18 one has a plastic handle, but a similar blade and a plastic protector instead of a box. Let me know how you like the weight and more importantly the balance. I believe the weight of the one I bought was around 300 grams. The $18 model gets good reviews, I just hope the new one follows suit.

Oh man, you saw the forecast? I postponed a pastrami cook until Monday.

Yeah - we are going to get hammered also. Big run at the grocery stores, it’s almost like there’s pandemic or something.

Stay warm!

I feel like 11” is a little too short for a brisket knife. I’d be curious to know what you think after using it on a brisket. I have the Fibrox handled knife in the pic and my only knock on it is the finger guard extends below the blade. Keep us posted on how it performs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a 14" Granton for Christmas a while back. Really like it but, wish I had a case too. Someone did something to it and it has a bend in the blade now :roll:

The $18 one has a plastic handle, but a similar blade and a plastic protector instead of a box. Let me know how you like the weight and more importantly the balance. I believe the weight of the one I bought was around 300 grams. The $18 model gets good reviews, I just hope the new one follows suit.

Baked a ham yesterday and tried the knife. The handle is plastic but has a nice heft to it. The balance point of the kife is about an inch in front of the handle. It was sharp, and sliced right on thru the ham. Maybe I will have a brisket to try it on before too long. For $19 I think it's worth it. This is the first knife of this type that I have used so kinda hard for me to compare.

I got that offer the other day as well. I have two Dexter-Russell slicing knives with 12" blades so I will probably pass on it.

Did the pastrami cook ever happen? If so, how’d you like the knife?

I'm probably doing it this weekend. I had some home canned corned beef so our St Patrick's meal was Reubins for lunch. :thumb: But I did try out the knife on some ham and it worked just fine. I could get almost see-thru slices.

Thanks Wayne Enjoy that Pastrami I was going to do some but I need to focus on going through and getting rid of stuff in the house

Back