THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IMO, buffalo wings belong in a deep fryer, and thighs belong on the grill. I don't know where you got the idea its tradition to cook buffalo wings on the grill.

But wait...
Candice, you are in the Matrix. Everything is 1's and Zero's
So how would you know?

But you're right. Imagine that!
https://youtu.be/j3bf6NW3pb0

It's funny, I worked right next door to the original Anchor Bar for years but I never went in. I guess there were so many places to get wings that it didn't seem like a big deal.

It’s funny how that happens. When you live near what others consider a must do, you never seem to go there yourself. I grew up in philly and never went to the historic places, and now I live near the ocean and never go to the beach.

I actually went out of my way to get wings from the anchor bar, and thought they were darn good. I was also glad I went out of my way to eat beef on weck at Schwabl's.

Chris

Beef-on-Weck-at-Schwabls-in-Buffalo.jpg
photo pulled from web.

Last edited:
It’s funny how that happens. When you live near what others consider a must do, you never seem to go there yourself. I grew up in philly and never went to the historic places, and now I live near the ocean and never go to the beach.

I actually went out of my way to get wings from the anchor bar, and thought they were darn good. I was also glad I went out of my way to eat beef on weck at Schwabl's.

Beef on Weck. Buffalo's hidden gem.

IMO, buffalo wings belong in a deep fryer, and thighs belong on the grill. I don't know where you got the idea its tradition to cook buffalo wings on the grill.

Umm?!?
Yeah. That's kinda what I'm saying here.
I am very traditional about wings. Frank's and a touch of butter. Deep fried wings. Bleu cheese and celery.
But.... if they're going on the grill, I prefer thighs.

I am also a transplanted Buffalo resident. I grew up near the Broadway Market so the Anchor Bar was simply a couple minutes drive, I still love Buffalo Wings to this day.

The thighs are a great idea, especially the cut that makes them resemble the whole wing. Thanks for sharing that idea with us. It is now on my list of things to do.

Whenever I fly into Buffalo, I always stop by Charlie the Butcher near the airport for Beef on Weck. But fortunately I live near a Wegman's which makes Kimmelweck rolls on a regular basis, and I can make my own roast beef sandwiches. I can also buy Chiavetta's, Shalen's, Weber's, Sargento, Heluvagood, and I can also get my CNY favorites too; Sal's Sassy Sauce, Cornell Chicken Marinade, Boss Sauce, Spiedie, and Dinosaur.

While I enjoy getting and using these items, there's something about eating the iconic foods at the landmark location that just makes it taste better, even if it is psychosomatic.

Thanks again for your idea with the thighs....

I am also a transplanted Buffalo resident. I grew up near the Broadway Market so the Anchor Bar was simply a couple minutes drive, I still love Buffalo Wings to this day.

The thighs are a great idea, especially the cut that makes them resemble the whole wing. Thanks for sharing that idea with us. It is now on my list of things to do.

Whenever I fly into Buffalo, I always stop by Charlie the Butcher near the airport for Beef on Weck. But fortunately I live near a Wegman's which makes Kimmelweck rolls on a regular basis, and I can make my own roast beef sandwiches. I can also buy Chiavetta's, Shalen's, Weber's, Sargento, Heluvagood, and I can also get my CNY favorites too; Sal's Sassy Sauce, Cornell Chicken Marinade, Boss Sauce, Spiedie, and Dinosaur.

While I enjoy getting and using these items, there's something about eating the iconic foods at the landmark location that just makes it taste better, even if it is psychosomatic.

So much great food in that area. We don't have Wegmans down in FL but Publix started selling Sahlen's hotdogs.
My go to food when I visit is usually a Chicken Finger Sub - shakin' in hotsauce with lettuce, tomato, onion and bleu cheese dressing. :icon_smile_tongue:

So much great food in that area. We don't have Wegmans down in FL but Publix started selling Sahlen's hotdogs.
My go to food when I visit is usually a Chicken Finger Sub - shakin' in hotsauce with lettuce, tomato, onion and bleu cheese dressing. :icon_smile_tongue:

Next time you guys get up there try Dick and Jenny’s on Grand Island. The food is fantastic! It’s the same dick and Jenny who had The Dick and Jenny’s in New Orleans. They moved up to the to stay with family temporarily after Hurricane Katrina and decided to stay and open a Resturant.

http://www.dickandjennysny.com/

Agreed. I know that once everyone catches on, thigh prices will ramp way up. I mean, the wings used to be pretty much free until they got popular.
They already have around here. I love the boneless thighs and the price has nearly doubled over the last 5yrs.

• Thanks
Reactions: JU
Back to the OP.

That sauce looks like it's gonna hurt! :cool:

Would like some more info on the ingredients. You don't have to give the whole game away... just a rough idea!

Cheers!

All I can give you is a rough idea since I just did it on the fly.
Roughly:
1.5 cups Frank's red hot
2 T butter
2 T avocado honey (regular will work)
.5 cup red wine vinegar
1 T habanero sauce
1 t Paprika
Heat and stir

Did a batch yesterday- could not help myself. I've had boneless thighs off the grill many times- but the trim to wing size for dunking is a winner.

I did half using a commercial hot wing sauce - and the other half using a commercial parm/garlic concoction. The hot wing sauced ones were pretty dang good. But I kept going back to the Parmesan /garlic dunked ones.

Did a batch yesterday- could not help myself. I've had boneless thighs off the grill many times- but the trim to wing size for dunking is a winner.

I did half using a commercial hot wing sauce - and the other half using a commercial parm/garlic concoction. The hot wing sauced ones were pretty dang good. But I kept going back to the Parmesan /garlic dunked ones.
Awesome. Sounds good. I do prefer bone in skin on for this. Its more like a wing but I guess boneless wings are also very popular.
I appreciate the feed back and ideas

After seeing those pictures, who am I to argue. Thighs have always been a favorite of mine and after those amazing results, I have another way to enjoy them. Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks
Reactions: JU
With a corn starch shake

Doing it again... This time I'm trying some corn starch in the rub. I've heard it makes a nice, almost Deep Fried crunch.

Last edited:
Back