THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaunvdv

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Shaun
Hello all, for Christmas, I will be cooking up a 7.5 lb Bone in Prime rib. I am planning on using the Argentine grill with the rotisserie attachment. I will be doing a sp rub with rosemary and garlic pressed in to slits I make in the meat. From what I have read, the timing to get it to about 118 degrees is about 1-1.5 hours. Now, that is on a different type of rotisserie than I have and those numbers are probably from sea level. Anyone have any idea what I should expect for cooking times? I am planning on taking it to about 120 degrees before resting. When I use the grill, I can hold my hand over the coals for about 3 seconds at the height of the meat and I am at about 6,000 ft. The grill is fairly open and wind/ambient temperature make a significant difference. Assuming I can keep the temps warm enough, how long do you think it will take?

Shaun, you're looking for 120 IT. Just use your cooking sense and pull it when it gets there.

Loosely cover it and let the resting temp peak. Then wrap it to serve later.

With smoked meats, you're always up against serving times, but the meat dictates that.

It's my biggest planning agony when I commit to cooking smoked meats for company.

I know where you’re coming from, but I’m not sure you’re going to get an exact answer to your question. I did a boneless prime rib before Thanksgiving, and my company started running late. I dropped the temp from 250 to 215 and was able to extend the cooking time. Without knowing your exact temp, I’m not sure anyone can accurately tell you how long it should take. Mine was left out for about 2 hours before I started the cook, so I had to take that into account. I’d say 30-45 minutes per pound should get you close for planning purposes.

I've always gone by the thickness of the roast to get an estimated time. 30-40 min per inch of thickness. So for a 5" thick roast, figure on about 2 1/2 to 3 hours or so. Doesn't matter if it's a 3 bone or a 7 bone, it should cook in the same amount of time as long as the thickness is the same on both.

open pit, colder ambient temps, I'm not sure but longer than you think is my experience cooking on a santa maria

Thank you all for the responses. I kind of figured the answers would be hard to come by. Too many variables. I guess I’ll just crank the heat up and hope for the best. I’ll keep everyone posted on how long it ends up taking. I was kind of guessing around two hours or so but we’ll see. I appreciate all of you and am excited for this cook. I’ll post pics during the process.

Easier to hold for a while than to be rushed.Use a meat thermometer.Keep it low and slow so you do not OVERCOOK (dreaded gray ring)the outside before the inside comes up to temp.Good luck.Keep us posted and share some pictures if you have time.The outer ring (cap) of a prime rib is the star of the show.Please do not overcook that part.

The cook has begun. I started the fire about 12:00. Meat on at 1:30. I tested temp of the grill about the height of the meat and it was about 250 when the wind isn’t blowing. I’m excited to taste it and interested to see how long it takes. I decided to use salt pepper and garlic powder with parsley for the seasoning and cut slits in the meat and stuffed holes with garlic and fresh rosemary. I’ll post some pics later.

It's amazing how easy those big cuts of meat are to cook but, always nervous because $$$. Your's turned out amazing and my mouth is watering

Back