THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honestly, I switched to Pellet to get away from charcoal smokers. If i want charcoal smoke flavor i will dust off my WSM.

I've not purchased the straight charcoal pellets. Most I've read on them folks are blending them with other flavors. ATTST, Pit Boss Freedom Blend did a mix with their charcoal pellets and other woods. It's really good but didn't see any in stores this year.

Last edited:
I might have to rethink my opinion. I wouldn't want to do a long low and slow, but it might add some great flavor to a reverse sear Tri Tip on my Pit Boss.

Been using them since I found them at wally world. I mix them with pellet of choice for that cook. I've found them to really help with a smoke ring from a pellet pooper.

Lumberjack makes them too. I’ve been using them for quite a while also. What Jim said^^^^^

The capsules are black (charcoal)

044agVDh.jpg

Last edited:
It's a gimmick. If you want a rundown on it lookup the BBQ central show and search for the latest show with the cooking pellets founder where he goes into detail on these.

I will look for some RO , have used the LJ and like it for steak and burgers, I forget what the % it is but no where near 100%

Lumberjack makes them too. I’ve been using them for quite a while also. What Jim said^^^^^

The capsules are black (charcoal)

044agVDh.jpg

Think I have several bags of Char Hickory, I can see two bags in the garàge.

There are a lot of great pellets sub $10 bag. I've seen Traeger Pellet on shelf at 29$ bag. One day they were discounted down to $2 bag. Their Turkey Blend with brine kit. It's a blend of hickory and maple with a hint of rosemary. I've heard all the oil stuff since my first pellets dropped in my GMG DC. So I Google in the store "do traeger pellet contain oil"? After reading the article I bought two bags. . some of the cleanest in appearance, uniform in size, best aroma pellets I've burned. At store recently they were restocked at just under $30 per bag. I'll check back after and during the holidays. $2#bag I'll buy three bags this time

Link to Traeger Turkey Pellets with brine

https://www.traeger.com/wood-pellets/turkey-blend-brine-kit

Back