Busy busy Summer at the Bassman house.. (LOADED down W/ PRON (w/ Coleman Bullet Smoker in action))

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
Work as been kicking my butt these past few weeks and time to keep the brethren updated on my BBQ adventures as nearly disappeared. BUT! Alas! I am here! And I come bearing gifts of pron! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::clap::clap::clap:

So lets start back to June 2nd when I did around 60lbs of uncooked butts for a youth retreat at my church. Was told to plan for 110 people to show and eat. I figured 60lbs would be a safe number for 110, so I headed to Sam's and picked up six 9-11lb butts.

Talk about a ton of meat. This ended up being the single largest cook I had done to date.

So Sunday morning of the 2nd I fired up the UDS and loaded her up with all 6 butts. This was a test for both me and her to see if we could both handle it. The temp dropped down around 180 (according to my pit probe) and finally crept up to around 225 after about an hour. This was expected since I put so much cold meat on the pit. After about an hour and 45 minutes, she got back up to my 275-300 butter zone.

I had 3 butts on the top rack and 3 on bottom.

Butts were foil wrapped at 165 and brought up to 205. Yeah, yeah, yeah, supposed to do the bone wiggle test.:blah: I've yet to have a butt not be completely done and butter tender when brought to 205.

Everything went well throughout the cook aside from a small grease fire when trying to remove the butts after they were finished. :mmph:

Here is the money shot. We had three pans like this that were completely full of pulled pork. :biggrin1:

So next up was Father's Day. Oddly enough, my dad requested the "Bacon Explosion". I told him that the correct term for said food item is a Fatty. He laughed and said, "just make it taste good!"

Being a good son, I listened. For all you guys out there wanting to see a cook on my vintage Coleman Bullet, here you go!

Made the Bacon weave.

Pressed the sausage. This was Bob Evan's brand and not JD's. BE's was on sale for a dollar something....

I did a classic one with just bacon bits on the inside but changed it up with the second one and added chopped green bell peppers, some Weber KC style bbq seasoning, and cheddar cheese.
g

Got them rolling on the Coleman at around 275 with a good dose of hickory.

You can see here a faint hint of smoke coming out her top. Once she gets in the zone, you don't touch her.

They turned out great and were joined by some grilled up chicken thighs.

Alas it was Father's day weekend, so a true gift to my father was in order. This was what he found Monday evening when he came home from work and popped the garage door. He has been due for a new kettle and always talked about wanting a performer just for the table. So I went all out and got him the Platinum.

So next up was a cook for a friend's grad party just this past Sunday, the 23rd. Was told 70 people and that I would be paid $160 to cover my time and meat. Well the meat was right at $60, so I ended up walking away with $100 in my pocket. Not a bad way to make a little money on a Sunday if you ask me! :becky:

Was asked to do pulled pork (seems to me the thing that best pleases and feeds a crowd) so went to Sam's again, and got four 10lb butts. Rubbed them down with a new bottle of R Butts R Smokin' Ozark Heat rub and fired up the UDS at 5am Sunday morning.

Here was my work area for the day..

Got the smoke rollin and the UDS all settled in and let the butts do their thing. Snapped a pic at this cool angle too..
'

The butts took right at 8 hours foiled, and were fantastic. Everyone at the grad party loved it and there was more than enough for the only 40 people that showed up. Nothing like having some leftovers! :biggrin1:

And finally, a gift to myself and an awesome (albeit not BBQ related) CL score.

I treated myself to gallon jugs of Blues Hog sauce from Saint Louis BBQ Store, which is a mere half mile from my house. Little pricey, but hey, support the local business and have a nice supply of sauce for a while. It all sounds good to me!

And then, the unrelated CL score...

Brand new in the box Husqvarna 350BT Blower and an older Echo GT-200r trimmer w/ new bump head. Also included was the gas can in the background. This was after I got home with the gear after cutting around my family's church and its school grounds. Both items ran like a top!

what did I pay you ask...????

.....$100 for the lot! :becky::clap2::becky::clap2:

On that note brethren, I will say goodnight! :mrgreen:

Thanks for looking at my obnoxiously long post! I'm sure you were all just dying to get an update into my life! :rolleyes::mrgreen:

Really great looking food and pron. But the CL score, give me a break! You stole those things. I have the same blower and I paid a lot more than that. Actually though, I hope they weren't stolen.... Nice post!

Really great looking food and pron. But the CL score, give me a break! You stole those things. I have the same blower and I paid a lot more than that. Actually though, I hope they weren't stolen.... Nice post!

HAHAHA! I know! I hardly believed the ad when I saw it. But I called the guy and he explained that he had just bought the blower but never used it and is now moving out of state to a condo complex that does the yard work for him. He said he "just wanted them gone...." :crazy:

Back