Birthday rib roasts...

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Scott/Mongo
I have the pleasure of enjoying a December 25th birthday and traditionally always make the call to have rib roast for dinner. This year was no exception so I ordered a couple five-ish pounders from the butcher earlier in the week on Monday and picked them up Thursday.

AoXx6vi.jpg

Seasoned generously with Q-Salt Friday morning.

f9yOQY4.jpg

Followed by a wrap to get the osmosis action working it's magic and then tucked them away into the fridge until yesterday around noon.

2L5r0B9.jpg

They went onto the Oval yesterday running +/- 240* (about as low as it likes to run) at 2 pm and they looked like this about halfway in.

94gzOC4.jpg

To give our guests options for doneness, one was targeted for 125* and the other for 132*. One was a couple ounces heavier and as it worked out they both finished within a minute of each other after a little over 2.5 hours. They were pulled, tented and rested for about half an hour and then seared off for quick spell in the oven at 550*.

MN9gG8X.jpg

Here's how they turned out... note the pics make them look a little more done than they really were.

6w4LChT.jpg

geTi2sj.jpg

Dy7Iodq.jpg

I took an end piece and it was fantastic. Most everyone else opted for middle cuts and gave rave reviews. I didn't get a chance for any plated shots, but all in all I was super happy with how they both turned out.

Thanks for looking and I hope you and yours had a very Merry Christmas! :mrgreen:

Couldn't think of a better way to celebrate your birthday and Christmas than with double Mongolian Smoked Rib Roasts!

BTW, the caps on those are off the charts - juicy, marbled, and meaty!

Whoa! Dang! Wow oh wow! That looks sumptuous! I am definitely going to have to try mine with the cling wrap from now on.

Dy7Iodq.jpg

:icon_smile_tongue:

Thanks for all the kind words and birthday wishes, gang! A number of family members even had seconds which is always heartwarming. We ended up sending some of the left over slices home with them too.

BTW, the caps on those are off the charts - juicy, marbled, and meaty!

Definitely my favorite part of the cut when everything comes together and it's done just right. The end piece I took had all of the above plus a great bark that was right in the Goldilocks zone: not too chewy and not too crunchy.

I am definitely going to have to try mine with the cling wrap from now on. :icon_smile_tongue:

I'm confident you'll be happy if you do so... :nod:

Are you planning on leaving the wrap on during the entire cook, Gore? :mrgreen:

If he uses the "special" wrap, it renders fully into the roast precisely 42 minutes before reaching the target temperature... :loco:

Back