THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killa - I was obsessed with adjustable height charcoal grills for long time. Finally bought Santa Maria and funny thing happened. It made me realize that ability to switch between direct and indirect is perhaps more important than distance from the coals.

For the money, I love Meadow Creek BBQ 42. It’s known as a chicken machine, but it has elevated charcoal pan that enables you to grill shed load of burgers and steaks (about 4-5 inches below meat). I cannot say enough about mine. The only drawback is that it is not practical for smaller cooks.

https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/blog/meadow-creek-chicken-flipper-showcase/

Happy hunting!

Killa - I was obsessed with adjustable height charcoal grills for long time. Finally bought Santa Maria and funny thing happened. It made me realize that ability to switch between direct and indirect is perhaps more important than distance from the coals.

For the money, I love Meadow Creek BBQ 42. It’s known as a chicken machine, but it has elevated charcoal pan that enables you to grill shed load of burgers and steaks (about 4-5 inches below meat). I cannot say enough about mine. The only drawback is that it is not practical for smaller cooks.

https://www.meadowcreekbbq.com/blog/meadow-creek-chicken-flipper-showcase/

Happy hunting!

That’s the first time I’ve seen that cooker before. If I was doing more chicken, that would be it for me. For whatever reason, my family pretty much only wants gas grilled, boneless chicken breasts. But I can see how you’d be able to use that grill for anything.

95% of my grilling on this would be steaks, burgers, and pork chops. Was there something about a Santa Maria grill you didn’t like? I feel like if I got the 48” version for only $100 more, I’d have plenty of space to move food aside to not be so directly over the fire.

A few month ago i was sure that i wanted a Santa Maria style Gaucho grill and LSG was going to get my money, But i was very concerned with finding one with a LID, since mine was going into a kitchen island. After going back and forth, i really did not want to buy a single purpose grill that would really limit the amount of times it would get used. To find one with a lid gets expensive. Here are some sites i looked at. At the end, I went with a Assassin 48 Charcoal Grill.

https://grillsandcookers.com/products/braten-1000-masonry

https://www.bbqguys.com/nuke/delta-argentinian-style-gaucho-grill-delta02

https://www.sunterra.pro/our-store/grill-catalog

https://www.assassin-smokers.com/charcoal-grills/

Yeah, that Braten one looks awesome. One of the suggestions earlier was for Allen’s Welding/Woodworking. I looked him up and he makes Santa Maria grills for a little less than Lone Star. And he’s a little closer than Lone Star is to me. I’m going to talk to him and see if it’s possible to make one with a lid.

now your coming to your senses, this is mine I have a cover as you can see, it is heavy as fark so it rarely gets used, If I want to cover something I used a roasting pan or weber lid. I have never done it but have often considered a small pig under the lid, no idea what size it would fit.

9Ws7ECwh.jpg

I like that (and I’m already in Louisiana), but $2k plus the stand puts it at the same cost as the Lone Star. It’s smaller than the Lone Star, but all stainless.

I think I’m set on a Santa Maria now. I didn’t realize that the grate goes below the sides until watching a video. The only thing it won’t do is convection heat like a grill with the lid closed. But I’ve got other grills and smokers that cover those needs anyway. And I think with wood/charcoal on one side and something on top to cover it, I could do a reasonable low and slow.

I’m glad I started this post, I hadn’t considered a Santa Maria other than the add-on for the 22.5” kettle.

I have the lid from my kettle grill that I could cover food with if needed. The kettle grill gets exclusively used for rotisserie and/or pizza oven, so the lid doesn’t ever get used.

The one thing I would add to this is that there is a difference between how food cooks in an enclosed adjustable charcoal grate grill vs. a Santa Maria. The benefit of an enclosed charcoal grill(with an adjustable grate) is you have the benefit of convection cooking, which really isn't possible on a Santa Maria grill. This comes in handy for larger cuts of meat like thick cuts of beef like tri-tips and ribeyes. Plus, you can cook using indirect heat using an enclosed charcoal grill w/adjustable grate with coals positioned to one side, much as you would a Santa Maria.

If you get a Santa Maria, I would recommend a cover, as it can rust and fill with water if exposed to rain and the elements.

I don't think either one of these cookers are better than the other, they each have their own strengths and weaknesses, depending on what they are used for.

Just a few thoughts.

Hasty bake. I’ve had eggs and the weber summit charcoal. The hasty is superior in every way to me. Go stainless if you can. Shipping is free as well. Join the FB group. Tons of info.

I agree with Moose. I suggested the Santa Maria.
You could also go with the 26" kettle and really be set for life.
It's covered, you can grill smoke, sear in it, do a small pig in it.
There is no one cooker for everything, [except, a uds, of course.]

That's great to see finally! I've been keeping my eye on this for a long time. Looks like the ultimate charcoal grill to me.

I would tend to agree. I don't think there's anything on the market now in terms of an enclosed adjustable charcoal grill/smoker that can outclass this in terms of build.

How about a Yoder Flattop. Their 24x36 model is $1699.00. A little over budget, but close.

Assassin makes some nice charcoal grills. Maybe not as adjustable as you want, but still nice and well made.

Last edited:
How about a Yoder Flattop. Their 24x36 model is $1699.00. A little over budget, but close.

Assassin makes some nice charcoal grills. Maybe not as adjustable as you want, but still nice and well made.

Those both look really good.

$1100 to my door for a 48”x30” Santa Maria from Allen’s Welding. The same size from Lone Star is $1700 shipped if I want the front door on it. I know the Lone Star will probably be slightly heavier duty, but that’s a big price difference.

Take a look at Allen’s Welding and Woodworking on YouTube and Facebook. He builds a lot of grills like you want. Many smokers too. He’s in Vivian, LA, in the NW corner of the state.
I seriously considered having him build a smoker for me before I bought a Shirley. Seems like a really nice guy too.

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn’t heard of him

Back