THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bourbon Barrel BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Drew
Ive had a whole pork shoulder in my deep freeze for a few months now. Last week I knocked a hole in the cryovac pulling out a frozen brisket. Its been frozen hard as a rock the whole time. Is it safe to thaw and cook this weekend?

I dont have an answer for ya, but I do have a question....

How long is it safe to keep cryovac meats (briskets & butts) in a deep freezer??

How long is it safe to keep cryovac meats (briskets & butts) in a deep freezer??

I have cooked a year old brisket and it came out great. I don't have a frost free freezer, so once it's frozen, it stays. It may looke a little quality, but it was still good.

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but I have worked in the foodservice industry for quite some time now. Your product should be fine as long as it has stayed frozen the entire time (not thawed and re-frozen), and assuming that it was not frozen close to or after it had expired. If it was frozen close to it's expiration date then I would thaw it naturally under refrigeration and inspect it. If a bag was accidentally opened then it could be re-sealed or wrapped (keeping it in a frozen state) to avoid outside contamination.
As a general rule of thumb for any restaurant I have worked in I will not recieve any product that has been frozen for longer than six months, but that is more of a quality issue than a safety issue. At home I have used product that has been frozen for longer than six months and it has turned out fine.

Paul

Back