Post Oak Shortage

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
If everyone, everywhere is using Post Oak in their cookers that claim to be, both commercial and personal how how long before there’s a massive price hike followed by shortage of post oak??

Personal opinion they could reduce consumption by cutting with 29% Mesquite

Some might claim your mix would have about 28% too much mesquite.

A member (Big Mista? sp?) posted here that most folk could not tell the difference between the flavors that different smoking woods imparted. When mesquite was offered as a rebuttal to his theory, he said that he did not permit mesquite in his pits.

Is post oak a better smoking wood - or does the crowd just repeat it until it's the gospel truth?

It will be fun next month when Texas Monthly releases their Texas Top 50 BBQ magazine. The articles and photos are worth the price of magazine. Pitmaster profiles, type of pit, Woods used etc. as well as blends of wood. Understand some of the all star’s have fallen.

Some might claim your mix would have about 28% too much mesquite.

A member (Big Mista? sp?) posted here that most folk could not tell the difference between the flavors that different smoking woods imparted. When mesquite was offered as a rebuttal to his theory, he said that he did not permit mesquite in his pits.

Is post oak a better smoking wood - or does the crowd just repeat it until it's the gospel truth?
Franklin uses it so it is the holy grail...[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Or 34% Red Oak

A guy I used to fly fish with that lives in Albuquerque used to drive every year to Woodville TX and load a trailer with red oak for his vertical smoker. Haven’t spoken with him in a while but last I heard he was Pellet Smoking

When all the real wood is gone ... pellet smokers will rule ... sawdust with a hint of whatever wood flavor you want.... or maybe pellet grass clippings ....:-D

I like a mix with mesquite.

Last edited:
I fell for it. I have post oak pellets and post oak splits--mesquite and hickory too. Cherry chips that were a B&B impulse buy. Only way to know is use some.

Last edited:
I have an unopened bag of mesquite- sometimes (often) the bride thinks I want something even tho' I never asked for it.

Might be time to break out the santa maria and cook some leg quarters dusted with Plow Boy Yard Bird over a mesquite /oak medley of coals. Might be good.

I think there's definitely some magic with the post oak but vs. just regular oak, I doubt it makes much difference. There's places out there that use mesquite but they have to run their pits differently I would imagine. You'd need a very clean fire, very well seasoned wood and probably need to wrap sooner. Pecan Lodge in Dallas uses some mesquite but they cut it with some oak, mainly because the oak burns longer. Occasionally, I've gotten some over-smoked meat there but not often.

Where is Jonny Appleseed when you need him?

A big bag of acorns and some time will end the shortage :thumb:

It's pretty simple: Post-oak is the Central TX wood with the most mellow flavor, and is readily available around the area. It produces a great flavor and aroma, and everyone wants to recreate it in their BBQ joint and in their backyard. But nothing is saying you have to.

Cut it with pecan, live oak, hickory and maybe a little mesquite and you can still make some badass BBQ. I learned to BBQ on an 80 acre ranch with post oak, live oak and mesquite on it, and that's the wood we'd use. I'd put the flavors you get from mixing those up beside your typical post-oak only you get in central TX.

Pinkerton's (in Houston and San Antonio) does a mix of post and mesquite, I believe. His brisket is one of the best I've had here. Don't be scared of mesquite, just respect it.

I was walking around at work inspecting leaves….I need help! I’m betting most people getting post oak in central Texas is getting mixed in Live oak as well.

There are very distinct taste and smell differences in wood.

For myself, I cannot stand hickory even though some people rave about it. I live in a forest that is about 50 percent hickory and cant stand the smell, real or artificial because i associate it with fire wood.

I've had post oak and think its alright, but would prefer red oak if i had a choice. But most commercial jobs run a mixture of wood, and a mixture of seasoned wood. Post oak is in right now because of AF. I personally think the central texas bbq bandwagon is winding down and the general population will move on to the next 'it' thing.

I even think brisket is slowly becoming less popular; its going the same way that pork belly did 10 years ago. People hop on the bandwagon and finally burn themselves out. My current favorite bbq is sausage and smoked chuck roast. Steak wise its tritip or new york strips, i dont even care for ribeye or filets at the moment.

I don’t think so. Many in central Texas were using post oak and cooking hot and fast before AF. just look at who he learned from. The forums might make it seem that way.

I used post oak on my brisket cook.
It had a nice smoke scent. A couple different smells all very pleasing.

hickory is strong smell, even mesquite is over powering to me.

apple has a nice aroma.
pecan was nice, not as a complex smell as post oak.
same with maple. they seem to lack the amount of complex smells post oak give.

I hate to think there will be a shortage:sad:

For all of you not living in Texas, we had that freezing weather combined with no electricity earlier in the year, AKA "Snowmaggedon" where Post Oak and Live Oak were the preferred woods for burning anywhere possible to stay warm! As a result many of our pitmasters are bringing in wood from out-of-state now because we burned ALL the seasoned wood in the blackout.

Back