Cow tongue, process and pics inside

Pugi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
To start with, I wanted to do this outside but, the weather was nasty so inside it is. As you have seen, we cook with mostly minimal ingredients to let the natural flavors come through. Today is no exception. Cow tongue tacos.

I must apologise in advance, the pics were not the best and neither is the plating.

To start with we got 3 tongues, the first part of the process is to simmer in straight water for a couple hours to loosen the outer skin so it can be removed

In this pic you can see the skin starting to split

And the little lady using her asbestos fingers to remove the skin revealing the succulent meat under it

Some of the skin won't peel and needs to be removed with a knife. Make sure to get it all off! After the skin was removed, the tongues were cut into fist sized chunks

Enough prep, let's get cooking. Minimal ingredients added, salt, onion, smashed garlic cloves, bay leaves and fresh cilantro

The tongue was added and simmered for about 2 hours. It will be soft and tender when done. I suppose it could be pulled apart but we don't pull it. During the cook

Done cooking!!

We chop it into small pieces

Served with a simple cooked salsa, tomatoes, garlic, onion, jalapenos cooked and blended with fresh cilantro. And couple slices of avocado. Squeeze some lime juice on and eat. Also on plate was homemade refried beans

Final picture is a close up. I'm trying to show how the tongue meat glistens

Hope you enjoyed this episode of Pugi TV. Any comments or question are always welcome. God bless.

Try smoking until 150 internal and finish steaming in a pressure cooker.

mmmmmmm lengua tacos. A little cilantro onions, hot salsa and some slightly pickled slice onions and habanero. Just had that actually yesterday night.

Awesome.

Try smoking until 150 internal and finish steaming in a pressure cooker.

That was the intent but with rain and wind I wimped out. I was going to try and smoke, peel, smoke then simmer. The UDS gave me nasty looks the whole day!!! The process above is the same one my wife's family has used for generations.

I've always wanted to make my own tongue, thanks for the tutorial.

I love it on tacos, kids wont even try.

That and the grocery stores here put a ribeye price on it, that I don't understand

Lengua tacos FTW. Please send over a plate. Awesome post!

I have actually made pastrami tongue. Wait to peel at the end as it is much easier.

We normally boil first, skin, then smoke and the flavor is still good. I was skeptical at first, but sliced up, it makes a good sandwich. Looks good though, I like having other options, and I love Mexican...

I have actually made pastrami tongue. Wait to peel at the end as it is much easier.

The little woman does not like the skin flavor to ruin the meat flavor. She like to peel as soon as she can and then cook in fresh water with other ingredients. She refrences the skin water as dirty and the meat water as clean.

The little woman does not like the skin flavor to ruin the meat flavor. She like to peel as soon as she can and then cook in fresh water with other ingredients. She refrences the skin water as dirty and the meat water as clean.

Interesting... Cultural thing? I'm new in the tongue game and my family won't touch it. I think it is some of the strongest rich beef flavor along with heart.

The thought of tongue used to repel me but a very good chef taught me to simmer for 6 hours...remove the membrane and crumble...unroll saran wrap and roll the tongue meat into a tight roll and refrigerate for 6-8 hours or even overnight. You can then unroll the saran and cut into slices and sauté in sauce or even use in your tacos as above...they are dynamite. I am going to try it in your recipe.

Have not had tounge in years My parents served it intact for dinner one night I was the only kid out of 4 willing to try it From what I remember it was pretty good

Back