My First Bacon Attempt

SmokerKing

is One Chatty Farker
8.50 lb. Costco Pork Belly, dry brined for 10 days, warm smoked with Rockwood, Hickory and Apple....

fNaMEA.jpg

4ILi3C.jpg

0A2Zd1.jpg

sOMk8O.jpg

Looks great! I'm doing 9 lbs of Costco belly for bacon Saturday.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Looks good, what are your initial thoughts? The formulation percentages are very straight forward and easy to tickle, but techniques can really vary with finish temps, blooming etc.

Looks good, what are your initial thoughts? The formulation percentages are very straight forward and easy to tickle, but techniques can really vary with finish temps, blooming etc.

For my first attempt, I thought it turned out great. Next time I'll adjust the brine ingredients and back off the salt, add more black pepper, brown sugar and chili powder to tweak it a bit.

I ran the warm smoke to 180 degrees until the bacon hit 150 internal. Smoke permeated well.

For my first attempt, I thought it turned out great. Next time I'll adjust the brine ingredients and back off the salt, add more black pepper, brown sugar and chili powder to tweak it a bit.

I ran the warm smoke to 180 degrees until the bacon hit 150 internal. Smoke permeated well.

The majority of people will adjust the salt down after their first batch, but that is the beauty of home curing. I'm with you on the black pepper. I use it during the cure, then re-apply after rinsing. Then mix up the aromatics from batch to batch.

I still do about a 1-hour rinse (it's an old habit that is hard to break), but I base my calculation on 1.5% salt. This is actually a 1.75% because there is some salt in the Cure #1, and I run my numbers longhand. If you are using an online calculator this is all factored in for you.

Don't be afraid to come off the 150° internal temp. Your bacon is technically fully cooked but the fat benefits from an easy frying. In the fall and winter I'll cold smoke in several sessions and my internal never gets above 55°.

The majority of people will adjust the salt down after their first batch, but that is the beauty of home curing. I'm with you on the black pepper. I use it during the cure, then re-apply after rinsing. Then mix up the aromatics from batch to batch.

I still do about a 1-hour rinse (it's an old habit that is hard to break), but I base my calculation on 1.5% salt. This is actually a 1.75% because there is some salt in the Cure #1, and I run my numbers longhand. If you are using an online calculator this is all factored in for you.

Don't be afraid to come off the 150° internal temp. Your bacon is technically fully cooked but the fat benefits from an easy frying. In the fall and winter I'll cold smoke in several sessions and my internal never gets above 55°.

Good info!

yes, I will add some black pepper after the rinse next time.

Yeah, I thought about cold smoking it, but I don't have the time to babysit my smoker for 16-24 hours. Plus, here in AZ, my smoker is already at 115 before I even start a fire....:becky:

thirdeye,
just before placing on the smoker, could I light sprinkle on some other seasonings just before I smoke, ie, chipotle powder, chili powder, etc,?

Back