New to Vending

backdraftbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I currently do BBQ competitions and have a trailer that is set up with my smoker, refrigerator, 3 bay sink and handwashing sink. I've done some casual vending and People's Choice at competitions. I'm looking to do some strictly vending events. I don't have a commercial kitchen so I'll be cooking everything at the event.

1. What's reasonable for the entry fee?
2. I know a Health Department permit is probably my first stop.
3. Any other pertinant information I need to know?
4. What can be expected to be made at an event with an anticipated crowd of 20k people in one day with 30 vendors?

This is my perspective I'm sure others may disagree.

1. What's reasonable for the entry fee? $100-$300
2. I know a Health Department permit is probably my first stop. Yup
3. Any other pertinant information I need to know? Festival organizers lie about expected crowds and make them seem better than they are. Example organizer says expected crowd of 20k with 30 food vendors could be 10k with 40 food vendors
4. What can be expected to be made at an event with an anticipated crowd of 20k people in one day with 30 vendors? I've never done one of that size but have done several around 7500 people with way less vendors. Gross sales were anywhere from $2500-$3000 for a 5-6 hour event. Profit was lucky to be 40-45% after food & labor expense prior to CODB. You can also loose a ton of money if a rain storm rolls in or other issue. Maybe more or less for others.

My advice for what it's worth first stop is HD then you need liability insurance. DO NOT do anything before you have those two things in hand with multiple copies. Find out if you need a Food MANAGERs certificate not just a handlers permit. Then check and see if you need a business license (you will) and a right to sell permit. It sucks dude. It really does. And I know all you want to do is sell a blooming sandwich and some beans. That thought goes through my head all the time. But if you are going to do it, do it right the first time. It helps tremendously down the road.

Back