You Might Be One of the Brethren If…

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Big C
I’ve had a few funny incidents/discussions lately that inspired this. I figured it would be fun to start a running list to see what we could come up with. I’m sure many of us can relate to some of these. That said…

You Might Be one of the Brethren If:

1) “Running low on charcoal” means anything less than five unopened bags in your garage

2) Someone asked you how much longer until the food was done and your response was “Not much longer, another couple of hours should do it”

3) 2 or 3 half-empty rolls of aluminum foil are in your pantry at any given time

4) The digital thermometer you bought for your newborn? $25 at WalMart. The digital meat thermometer you bought? $80 a piece, and you own three of them.

5) You have a “good pair” and a “bad pair” of tongs, and nobody besides you knows how to properly use the “bad pair”

6) You have a specific shirt or two that you only wear when grilling

7) There is that one section of concrete near the pit that is always in desperate need of degreaser and a powerwashing

8 ) You have ever received blank stares when talking about “stickburners”

9) You can immediately tell the difference between a first and second-degree burn

10) You have ever kept grilling in spite of a second-degree burn

11) There are at least three different grind sizes of black pepper in your spice rack right now

12) You have ever let a finished rack of ribs ride it out a little longer in the pit so you could have one last beer

13) You have taken three showers since your last pit session but you still smell a little like smoke

14) “Oh, I’m not gonna barbecue or anything…just gonna grill something up real quick”

15) You take pictures of everything you cook, on the off chance that one of them turns out good enough to enter a throwdown

16) You have ever been listening to music while ‘cueing and suddenly wondered “Ya know…I wonder what 16Adams would think about this particular song…” :laugh:

Smoke in my eyes Emotions are leaking down my cheek
Amen

Last item inspired by actual events. For context, the meat in question was a rack of spares grilled indirect and the song in question was "Seven Spanish Angels". Don't recall what the beer of the moment was but I think I was working through a case of Modelo over the past month or so, so probably that.

You frequent the manager special meat bin and know the other regulars by name.

You cook more pulled pork even when you have some frozen because it’s more about the cook than the meal.

You sometimes fire up the stickburner just for one rack of ribs... or none.

You enjoy the looks on people’s faces when they eat your que more than you actually do eating the que.

You can no longer go to chain restaurants and order bbq, only former competition cooks or microbreweries.

When your wife catches you sticking your nose into your t-shirt and taking one more big “hit” before tossing it in the hamper.

When your kid catches you sticking your head into the cooking chamber just to take a whiff... and there’s nothing even cooking.

Geez, looking at these posts, it’s quite clear that some of us need help... lol.

When you go to the meat section first and spend an hour looking at each package of Ribs, Pork But, Brisket, and whatever else looks interesting; but then you hear the wife say: "Are your ready to go" and you point out the best cuts you could find.

You engage strangers in conversation in the BBQ section of Lowes.

I am completely guilty of 2,3,5,11,13,16.... 16 not the song, just wondering what he's thinking at that time..adams is an interesting character! Cool guy love his posts.. LOL

Guilty on most counts.....:grin:

-You day dream all week about your next weekend cook

-You build your weekend honey-do schedule around your cooks

-You can't be trusted to shop alone in the meat department without your wife

I can't trust the missus in the meat department cuz she then decides on items she wants me to cook LOL!

I'm always thinking about my next cook.. I think my next cook is gonna be pizza on the pellet pooper.

While I cook, that's reasons for me to keep things up around the house lol

....You have been on trips that included scheduled stops at BBQ joints and/or a liquor store (preferably BBQ joints just down the road from the liquor store).

...you have ever uttered the phrase “what did you rub your meat with” without sexual connotation involved.

Back