X-Mas Rib Roast

Me too. I will not call a choice rib roast a Prime rib to my guests.
But I will not quibble if someone offers me a slice of their 'prime' rib to me.

I am standing by my statement. Choice rib or Prime rib.
Call it whatever, it's delicioso, as LONG AS IT'S PINK!!

There would be no need to quibble mchar. the designation of "Prime Rib" existed prior to the USDA developing the classification system and label of "Prime" to begin with.

Also, you can look at the USDA The Food Standards and Labeling Policy Book. Bottom of page 154:

PRIME RIB OF BEEF OR STANDING BEEF RIB ROAST FOR PRIME RIB:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
These products do not have to be derived from USDA prime grade beef.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

There would be no need to quibble mchar. the designation of "Prime Rib" existed prior to the USDA developing the classification system and label of "Prime" to begin with.

No need to quibble at all.
It's a cut, not a grading.
It's not that difficult.

Do people think St. Louis Ribs all come from St Louis?:wink:

When I take a brisket and smoke it, I get raves. If I were to take a tender cut, like a standing rib roast, and do the same, it would be considered ruined. I'm curious, did you just decide to prepare the roast this way or did you inquire of your family and guests as to their preference?

When I take a brisket and smoke it, I get raves. If I were to take a tender cut, like a standing rib roast, and do the same, it would be considered ruined. I'm curious, did you just decide to prepare the roast this way or did you inquire of your family and guests as to their preference?

Why would it be considered ruined?

Why would it be considered ruined?

Because it was smoked.

We all have our preferences, but I think a lot of people here would disagree with you. Every year there are numerous threads of Brethren smoking rib roasts. By a wide margin the best rib roasts I've ever cooked were smoked.

IMG_6430.jpg

Here's an appreciation thread that also contains some basic cooking advice/links. It's that time of year, so feel free to add the latest....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150482

Because it was smoked.

We all have our preferences, but I think a lot of people here would disagree with you. Every year there are numerous threads of Brethren smoking rib roasts. By a wide margin the best rib roasts I've ever cooked were smoked.

IMG_6430.jpg

Here's an appreciation thread that also contains some basic cooking advice/links. It's that time of year, so feel free to add the latest....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150482

Yep yep. That brings up funny memories. I was on vacation with a client once in Destin, FL. We were right at the tip next to the bridge leading to Ft. Walton. One night we had dinner at an Irish pub across the street. They had a smoker out front and the special of the day was Hickory smoked PR.

I thought about trying it out, but there were some alarm bells.

1. It's an Irish Pub, what do they know about smoking?
2. It's a tourist trap restaurant, what do they know about smoking?
3. It's not "the South", rather, it's the freaking Florida panhandle coast, what do they know about smoking?

All in all, there was no way that the special could be any good, so I went for a NY Strip. My customer decided to gamble and got the PR. When it came out, I ended up taking a bite of it and found out just how wrong I was. Man, it was delicious. As I sat at the table I got on the phone and called my uncle, who happens to be a butcher. I ordered a whole ribeye from him and ended up smoking it shortly after getting back from Florida.

For sure, you don't want to overpower the prime rib. Just give it a nice hint of smokey goodness. It's absolutely incredible.

Yep yep. That brings up funny memories. I was on vacation with a client once in Destin, FL. We were right at the tip next to the bridge leading to Ft. Walton. One night we had dinner at an Irish pub across the street. They had a smoker out front and the special of the day was Hickory smoked PR.

I thought about trying it out, but there were some alarm bells.

1. It's an Irish Pub, what do they know about smoking?
2. It's a tourist trap restaurant, what do they know about smoking?
3. It's not "the South", rather, it's the freaking Florida panhandle coast, what do they know about smoking?

All in all, there was no way that the special could be any good, so I went for a NY Strip. My customer decided to gamble and got the PR. When it came out, I ended up taking a bite of it and found out just how wrong I was. Man, it was delicious. As I sat at the table I got on the phone and called my uncle, who happens to be a butcher. I ordered a whole ribeye from him and ended up smoking it shortly after getting back from Florida.

For sure, you don't want to overpower the prime rib. Just give it a nice hint of smokey goodness. It's absolutely incredible.

This is the other thing. Give up your prejudices. You may find good BBQ anywhere. Yeah, there are some places, where your chances are greater, but you can really be surprised sometimes. It's also not easy to ruin Prime Rib.

This is the other thing. Give up your prejudices. You may find good BBQ anywhere. Yeah, there are some places, where your chances are greater, but you can really be surprised sometimes. It's also not easy to ruin Prime Rib.

Yep yep again. My prejudice got me on that one. That said, while it might not be easy to ruin PR, I've run across far to many places that must have worked real hard to do so. :-D

If you smoke your prime rib all the way to 200 degrees IT then yes I would agree with you.

I haven't done it yet just because I have it worked out in the oven to perfection ( or at least in my humble opinion) and can't really justify experimenting during the holidays. Hopefully once the darn things go on sale I'll try a 2 or 3 boner and see how it goes.

Fin's at sharkies in Venice FL is a relatively new restaurant with a new "Josper" oven. It's basically an oven/smoker combined. I had the greatest prime rib I've ever had there. I'm giving it a whirl for new years and if it even tastes half as good I'll be in good shape!

If you smoke your prime rib all the way to 200 degrees IT then yes I would agree with you.

I haven't done it yet just because I have it worked out in the oven to perfection ( or at least in my humble opinion) and can't really justify experimenting during the holidays. Hopefully once the darn things go on sale I'll try a 2 or 3 boner and see how it goes.

S&P only, 500F pre-heated oven, 5 minutes. Drop temp to 200F, one hour per #. Perfect roast, no bitching about smoke flavor.:wink:

Back