THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WSM Temps

HI All Got up at 5am to fire up the WSM..Temps are holding good/289* but kind of the high side for. I would like temps 250-275. Got all the bottom vents closed top vent barely open, smoke leaking like crazy from around the lid. I think gaskets will solve that problem? No water in pan used lava rocks to help keep the temps stable.Maybe water in the pan will have kept the temps lower?

Put the 5 lb butt on 6:15 should cook fast at them temps, ribs to go on around noon.
Thanks Dan

It's going to cook hot your first couple of cooks, these leaks will start to disappear once you get the insides good and gunked up. The temps you are at now is a range I actually like to cook at.

It's going to cook hot your first couple of cooks, these leaks will start to disappear once you get the insides good and gunked up. The temps you are at now is a range I actually like to cook at.

Hi This WSM has been well used by its pervious owner..Leaks died down some. I think it just like to run at the temps its running at.
Is there a problem keeping the top vent close, and let the leaks take care of the airflow?
Thanks DanB

My wsm came with a heat shield under the charcoal bowl you can take out the water pan and place heat shield there plus you can add a lot more coals if you do it that way

My wsm came with a heat shield under the charcoal bowl you can take out the water pan and place heat shield there plus you can add a lot more coals if you do it that way

Hi It does have the heat shield, but is under the smoker?
I'd just like to run this thing around 250* getting it hotter should be NO problem all I would have to do is open the vents..Going to play around with the vents in future cooks.
Thanks DanB

Vents/Temps

Hi All My 1st cook on my WSM went pretty good.For the most time it held temps pretty good, a little higher then I like.
One thing I couldn't understand, is why the temps climbed when ALL the vents were closed? After awhile when I added the 2nd batch of KB temps skyrocketed to 350*, good thing the ribs were off. Took awhile for the coal to finish. They didn't go out they just burn done.
There must air coming from some where, the only openings I do see around the flimsy door, could that be causing the temp problems?
Smoke did leak like crazy from the lid. I have to work on that x that either gaskets or RTV.
Other wise it should be good for an over night cook.
Thanks Dan
PS On further inspection I see that the bottom vents don't close all the way, maybe 1 hole in each has a very small pin hole openning,1/32
Could that be causing the problem with the temps?

Last edited:
Wsm

On my 22, I've gone 18 hours without having to reload. On my 18 I have gone about 16.

Hi I would like to get just 12-14 hrs with mine, for over night with a brisket or a butt. How much charcoal did you need for the 18 hrs?
Still have some work to do on mine to get working right. When I was finished with yesterdays cook, I close "ALL" the vents and charcoal kept on burning,this morning it was all ashes.
Still learning about the WSM.:doh:
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Looks like you may have a problem with the main body being out of round, that's a lot of smoke coming out the lid and when you close all the vents it should snuff out the fire. When I start a fire I will get heavy white smoke and I will see a little smoke leak through the lid and side door, but nothing like that. It usually takes an hour to an hour and a half for my fire to cleanup, once it's clean I'll put on the meat.

As far as how much charcoal you will burn for Briskets and Butts I load up my 18.5 with 16lbs of charcoal plus wood and I always have unused charcoal left over and been close to running out of fuel.

Wsm 22

Hi I think a gasket is in order to keep the lid from leaking? Althoug it did calm down some later on. MY main concern is the air entering the smoker for the coals to keep on burning when all the vents are closed.
Could it be coming from the flimsy door? All I could find where 2 small pin holes maybe 1/32 on 2 of the vents.

The more you use it the leaks will go away

Hi Right now I'm trying to get the WSM ready for overnight cooks .I was just out there checking can't get 2 of the the bottom vents to completely close, maybe 1/32 openings on both just on 1 or 2 holes. Also huge spaces on the sides of the flimsy door.

First time I used the WSM , after I finished the cook I had all the vents closed and still the coals were burning till they turned to ash the next morning when I checked.
So from some where there is air entering the smoker??
Thanks Dan

Hi I think a gasket is in order to keep the lid from leaking? Althoug it did calm down some later on. MY main concern is the air entering the smoker for the coals to keep on burning when all the vents are closed.
Could it be coming from the flimsy door? All I could find where 2 small pin holes maybe 1/32 on 2 of the vents.

Possibly. Close a little foil around the door and the body of the smoker and see if that corrects some leakage.

Vent Openings

Hi All Here is what I'm talking about the with the vent holes "NOT" closing all the way..See pic. Don't know IF that is causing the coals to burn out, when all vents are close?
Thanks Dan
PS I'm doing a test run right now. Worked on door some, put some magnets on the pin hole openings. Lets see what happens now:decision:
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Yeah, that's enough of an opening to let air in to continue to smolder all night. Looks like you need to do some refinishing. I have heard of people drilling out the rivet, cleaning it all up, and then putting it back on with nuts, bolts, and washers.

Tiny Openings

Yeah, that's enough of an opening to let air in to continue to smolder all night. Looks like you need to do some refinishing. I have heard of people drilling out the rivet, cleaning it all up, and then putting it back on with nuts, bolts, and washers.

Hi So those tiny openings is what is causing the coals to keep burning.
Just did a trial run with 3/4 of a chimney of Kingsfords Blue, Held 250* real good.
I closed all the vents about 45 minutes ago and temps are at 190.
Yup looks like I have to do some work on the vents if I want it shut down.
Did some work on the door and didn't see any leaks like I saw the other day.
Put some magnets over openings on the vents but they fell off:drama:
Thanks Dan

Vent Openings

Hi All Any more suggestions or idea's on how to close the openings?
I would drill and clean then replace the vents but I'd probably fark it up some how.
Just looking for an easier solution if there is one.
Thanks DanB

Weber

Hi I sent Weber an E-mail..Waiting to hear back from them.
Upon futher inspection, looks like the damper holes are pitted and out of round.
Thanks DanB

Foil

Possibly. Close a little foil around the door and the body of the smoker and see if that corrects some leakage.

Hi All I think I may have the holes closed with foil.. I just hope the foil stays on.
It looks like the damper holes are not round anymore, look a little pitted.
This 22: WSM was not new and was well used when I bought it.
Will post back with the results good or bad.. I could always drill out the vents and replace them , but I'm NOT looking forward to doing that.
I just couldn't resist the WSM 22" for $80, he wanted $100.
Thanks Dan

Back