THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

zachg18

Knows what a fatty is.
I know this topic has been talked about a million times but I think I have a slightly different question...

I have yet to use water in my water pan on my WSM. I just foil it.

I do think my temps get a bit too high though. Even if I have it around 225F on the WSM thermometer I know that's much lower than actual temp (maybe even by 50 degrees).

A lot of people seem to complain about the cleanup from using water in the water pan? I would think it's easier to clean but I guess not.

WHAT IF I left the water pan empty but put a metal bowl with water in it on the bottom grate that is above the water pan? Maybe that's sort of a best of both worlds solution? Or maybe it's just dumb haha...

Appreciate any advice!

My 18" didn't come (used) with a pan. I bought a 14" pizza pan and wrap that in foil to ease cleanup.
Food cooks great. Temps are not too high. No water needed.

I just foil the pan. The problem with water is where do you dump it? It's going to be full of grease. Ideally it boils out and you don't have that much to dispose of. I dumped it once in the yard and my dogs were covered in the grease immediately. I can't believe I thought that was a good idea. For me , just foiling has worked fine. My WSM generally doesn't want to run at 225. If it i's between that and 250 for a low and slow cook, I'll let it ride where it wants to. The key with the WSM is to catch the temp on the way up. If you let too much charcoal get lit then you are fighting it all day.

To those using a terra cotta pan, is that resting on top of the water pan or just by itself on the brackets that would hold the water pan?
Any risk of rendered fats overflowing the terra cotta and starting a grease fire?

I'd say do whatever you like best in terms of water or no water. However, if you are doing only because of temps there are other solutions. First, catch it on the way up because you aren't bringing those temps down a tremendous amount for love nor money. If catching on the way up still doesn't work, light less charcoal. Normally for me to get to 275 in warm weather 1/2 of my small chimney--Cold weather all of my small chimney. If you want lower temps just light less charcoal.

I'd say do whatever you like best in terms of water or no water. However, if you are doing only because of temps there are other solutions. First, catch it on the way up because you aren't bringing those temps down a tremendous amount for love nor money. If catching on the way up still doesn't work, light less charcoal. Normally for me to get to 275 in warm weather 1/2 of my small chimney--Cold weather all of my small chimney. If you want lower temps just light less charcoal.

Thanks!

Someone else mentioned "catch it on the way up"...what do you mean by that exactly? Wait until it hits like 225F on way up and then close vents more?

Thanks!

Someone else mentioned "catch it on the way up"...what do you mean by that exactly? Wait until it hits like 225F on way up and then close vents more?
Generally when the cooker gets within about 35 degrees from my desired temp I close 1 intake. When it gets abt 20 away I close another. About 10 degrees away close the remaining halfway. About 5 degrees to where I want it I close the intake down to about a pencil eraser size opening (where it stays). That helps you not over shoot your desired temp (combined with not lighting too many coals).

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

Generally when the cooker gets within about 35 degrees from my desired temp I close 1 intake. When it gets abt 20 away I close another. About 10 degrees away close the remaining halfway. About 5 degrees to where I want it I close the intake down to about a pencil eraser size opening (where it stays). That helps you not over shoot your desired temp (combined with not lighting too many coals).

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

Gotcha thanks!

I wonder though...if air is being pulled in from the bottom and only one vent is open would that cause coals on one side to get hotter than coals on the other side where the other closed vents are? And would that cause temp to be different on one side of the smoker? Or am I overthinking this?

Gotcha thanks!

I wonder though...if air is being pulled in from the bottom and only one vent is open would that cause coals on one side to get hotter than coals on the other side where the other closed vents are? And would that cause temp to be different on one side of the smoker? Or am I overthinking this?

I close the vents just like this as well. Doesn't present any problems.

Had my WSM 18 for many years. I do not put water in the pan now as during the Summer here in Louisiana my 1st 100*F are free. You mentioned that you were running hot with your WSM. Water is the way to go if that is happening. I'm a retired HVAC guy and here's the way it works. Manipulation of heat transfer.

If you want to control the heat lower, use water in the pan. Start with a full ring of coal but only light a small amount using the Minion Method. Also check for air leaks around the lid, the door and the barrel seams. Go to this website as they are the definitive authority on all things Weber: www.tvwbb.com

One other thing I noticed from your post is that you rely on the dome temp thermostat. Don't. Get a good grill level stat.

Hope this helps.

Gotcha thanks!

It may would cause it if you cooking on it like a drum (with no deflector). I assume that as the heat rolls over the deflector it levels out. If you ever question different grate temps you can set up probes to check and be sure.

I definitely agree with Mike, get a probe at grate level to see your true temp. Over time you might can tell how far off your dome temp is and go from there.

It may would cause it if you cooking on it like a drum (with no deflector). I assume that as the heat rolls over the deflector it levels out. If you ever question different grate temps you can set up probes to check and be sure.

I definitely agree with Mike, get a probe at grate level to see your true temp. Over time you might can tell how far off your dome temp is and go from there.

Thanks! Any recommendations for grate level probes?

Thanks! Any recommendations for grate level probes?

If you are serious and don't mind dropping a little money Thermoworks products are great. If you are just starting out you can do ThermoPro (Amazon or Academy) or WalMart has a line of thermometer probes. I used ThermoPro for my first 1 1/2 years of cooking/smoking. Now I have Thermoworks.

If you are serious and don't mind dropping a little money Thermoworks products are great. If you are just starting out you can do ThermoPro (Amazon or Academy) or WalMart has a line of thermometer probes. I used ThermoPro for my first 1 1/2 years of cooking/smoking. Now I have Thermoworks.

Thermoworks are by far the best. You can get on Amazon at the top of this page and also check out Ink Bird.

Here is a review I did for them a while back. Either Blue Tooth or Wi-Fi.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289870

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286402

Appreciate it! I have Thermoworks for my meat probe thermometer not sure if I need something as fancy just for grate level temps...i'll check them all out though!

Thanks again!

Back