WSM 22.5 On The Way

I've had my 22 for years and you can't beat it for a set and forget charcoal smoker. I bought a pitmaster 120 originally for overnight cooks, but it keeps temps so steady that I use it every cook. I'm still on my first probes that are as old as since the 120 first came out so I can assure you the 120 and its probes are high quality.

As far as the water pan I started out using water. Since I've started running dry with a clay saucer, I have been way happier with my results and the easy clean up. I hated cleaning up the water pan, but now it is just changing the foil out.

Welcome to the WSM club. I'm sure the other WSM owners won't mind me saying to message us if you need any help or tips once you get it.

They are a great entry level smoker.

Hey now, if it weren't for the Brethren making me want to pull the trigger on a Shirley soon, I'd be offended about you calling my WSM "entry level". Just messing with ya though! Honestly though, if it weren't for my interest in exploring stick burning the WSM would be all I would ever need.

I agree with USMC, the WSM is all you would need unless you want to stick burn. If you burn overnight, I suggest the Igrill or Fireboard to alert you if you lose your fire or your temp spikes.

Congrats great purchase just fire it up you don't need all that other crap just a waste of money wsm will do every thing you want it to do right out of the box after a few cooks it will seal up fine it's just bbq

Use the BBQ guru to keep the last 10 degrees. What I am saying is control the fire the best you can using only the vents and have the guru as a insurance policy if the temp dips low it will fan the fire. If it gets to hot the high heat warning will go off.

FYI. Just got a shipping notification. The WMS is on its way and will be here Wednesday. Hopefully, work will cooperate and I can do a burn in and first cook before the weekend hits.....

Welcome to the WSM family! You're gonna love it. Had mine for years, zero mods and zero issues. The only thing I had to do was mess with the door a bit...It wasn't quite rounded off to fit the hard tight enough at the top...Was more oval. Easy fix.
I have never done the clay saucer...I lined my entire water pan with HD foil and use 3-4 fist sized foil balls in there when cooking on both grates...When cooking on top grate only, I use a foil pan with apple juice on lower grate.

Hopefully, work will cooperate and I can do a burn in and first cook before the weekend hits.....
You don't need todo a burn in because the inside is painted with enamel, just wipe the inside down, figure out what you want to cook and let it roll.

Congrats on the purchase! 22.5 is all you need unless you end up cooking for really large groups. I actually picked up an 18.5 for smaller cooks or if I need just a tad bit more space. I've never had a cook big enough to use both. Have fun is the most important thing.

Back