WSM 22.5 On The Way

ChrisBarb

is one Smokin' Farker
I finally settled on a 22.5 WSM as the best compromise between "real" smoking" and the "set it and forget it" world. Pellet poopers are out. Too many complaints of not enough smoke flavor and they wouldn't be usable around here in the winters due being electrical in nature.

So, the WSM has been ordered and is on the way. I want to add a controller. These two seem to be the main players. https://bbqguru.com/storenav/gurucookerguide?DeviceModelId=181&kitId=115 and https://pitmasteriq.com/products/iq120. Which one is preferred? They both seem decent.

And lastly, water in the H2O pan or not?

Thanks!

edit: I know the controllers are electrical too. But I can remove them when things get wet or snowy.

Congrats on the new smoker. I have a Pitmaster IQ110, I don't use it a lot because the WSM is pretty stable once it settles in. I hook it up when I'm not going to be home for the whole cook, works well.

I'd suggest getting a lid hinge and attaching the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate, makes it easy to pickup as one piece and shake out the ash when cleaning up. I used small SS hose clamps. You will also need something to monitor temps because the WSM thermo is unreliable.

I run mine dry and use a clay saucer for a heat sink, easier to get higher temps, burns less fuel and don't have to worry about cleaning the water bowl.

Congrats on the purchase, I love my 22.5.
Like Kevin said, recommend attaching the grate/charcoal ring--much easier clean up.
I "notched" the lip on mine to run the probes for my maverick. Took 15 seconds with a grinder. I recently added Nomex gaskets to the door and the lid.

I've always run water in mine. I have wooded property so it's easy to dump the water after a cook. I've been happy running with water, but am going to try a heat sink, just for something different on an upcoming cook.

I just did a 11.5 hour cook--10 lb pork shoulder-over the weekend. Ran between 250-275, had water in the pan and used 3/4 a bag of KBB. YMMV.

Grats on the purchase, I love mine! I would suggest that you run it at least twice without any mods or temp controller. (first run is almost always a little hot, but still pretty consistent temps. Second run should be settled in at a lower temp and hold it). I was all about getting a controller for mine when I purchased it a few years back, but never found the need for it. I did get a remote thermometer so I could keep track of the temps so I know when I need to add more coals, etc.

I ran a Guru DigiQDX2 on my 22"WSM. It is not totally necessary but it makes the WSM totally set it and forget it. I never used the water bowl nor any other barrier between the food and the fire. The fat dripping into the coals creates an amazingly good flavor along with the wood smoke.

Gaskets are not necessary at all. Cooking will seal the unit up quite well. It might take 5 or 6 cooks to get there but trust me it will seal up great. IMO the lid hinge is probably the most valuable accessory you can add to the cooker. The black gunk that accumulates on the rim of the lid makes a mess if you just set it down on concrete or a wooden deck.

Great purchase. You'll love the WSM.

I use an auber 10 cfm unit on my 22 WSM. It's performed well for us and is cheaper than a guru. Just a thought

Congrats on the purchase. I have the same one and have never seen the need to use a controller. I do overnight cooks all the time and sleep and wake up to find the smoker at just about the same temp as when I went to bed.

You're going to love it! I sure do love mine (especially after using an ECB for a few years before stepping up).

I use a wrapped clay saucer in my pan instead of water: easy clean-up, WSM likes to run at 280 pretty much no matter what I do to it.

You may end up wanting to upgrade the side access door to a Cajun Bandit. I keep planning to do that, but have pretty much just tolerated the semi-leaky stock door.

Post pics of that shiny new WSM when you get it, then some action shots!

Instead of a digiq look at the party which is battery powered and is plenty big enough for the WSM.

I use a clay saucer in mine vice water...works great and maintains stable temps a long time!

Recommend gasket kit , When I got mine sum years ago I put a party q on it, had one or two cooks on it at -25 outside and it rocked my world, I have a bunch of cookers but the WSM is my go to perfect cooker,

Another clay saucer user. WSMs are more or less set and forget after a couple of cooks to let them self-seal. I've done many an overnight cook without an issue.

Congrats. They are a great entry level smoker. But, it won't be long until you are making amazing Q, and all your friends and family ask you to make more than she will hold. Only took me a couple years to need to upgrade (or buy a second one).

I agree with holding off on any additions. She'll run a little hot out of the box, but settle in once she gets dirty. Only way to do that is to cook on her.

That being said, I had the IQ120 for mine and used it for overnight cooks. That and a Maverick would let me get enough sleep to be functional the next day. I was another with a terra cotta planter base instead of water. Whole lot easier to clean up...

As for other mods, see the link in my signature file for what I did to mine.

For it's size, the 22 WSM is probably one of the best cookers out there, easy to learn and makes some great Q. I also have the IQ 110 for overnight or unattended cooks. Lots of times it's not really needed. Just run a clean fire, manage your cook and all your Q will be good.

Back