Worth cooking 25F lower?

My UDS likes 250 to 275. When Big Red is happy, I'm happy. I think the fat renders better and haven't noticed any other changes since I stopped battling to stay at 225. My mini likes to run around there too. I figure if it tastes good why fight it?

I pretty much always cook at 270 to 300. You're not losing anything. If I wanted to cook lower I would have to alter things to make it happen which just makes more work for me. My cooker likes 270 to 300 so I just learned to cook at those temps.

For the most part I agree with the 275-300 for cooking temp. The two Items I cook differently would be, first, chicken, usually in the 325-350 range, sometimes hotter. The second would be a rib roast or prime rib, with that I try to stay near 225 til I reach an IT of 125 or so, then go for the hot sear and rest prior to serving.

KC

It appears as if most people hove around 275 in this thread. I guess I like to cook faster than most at 300-325 lol.

I cook wherever my grill/smoker wants to be, and adjust my times accordingly.

WSM ~275, kettle~375. I didn't notice any negative effects when I moved my cook temps up.

The Akorn loves 275, I also notice my smoke is very clean at that temp. 205-235 it's tough for me to keep it light blue. You will enjoy the extra time spent sipping or eating. :clap:

Like others have stated,.. it depends on what I'm cooking, outside weather factors, where the pit is wanting to settle, and how much time I got. Roll where you want to brother, it's your party !

Back