Working on those Night Moves

Lost control of my scene. Total freaking failure. Pilot error, faulty evasive action, whatever you want to call it, it's on me. Only me. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and didn't budge until 7+ hours later. 7 hours unattended. Not looked at. New to me coals. Hooked and hanged picnic, I've done that but removed after 4 hours and oven or CP finish.

So here's the part that'll make some laugh some cringe. The picnic came off and dropped snuffing half the coals. Caveman, that's cool let's temp it. 182° on coal side 120° on top. Now did the top ever go higher or is it just now reaching 120° seven hours later. Not a question I want to answer with my intestines. Trash. The brisket was still hanging, looking good. 179° fire side and 117° IT in places. Trashed it too.

Night moves.
I sucked

Last edited:
Well that sucks, but you can't win them all and some times **** just happens. There's always next time.

Lessons learned. Temp controller or alarm to awake you to check the fire periodically during the night.
Hunsaker makes a cage for hanging big pieces of meat for those that like to do total cooks hanging. I have never hung anything but ribs and they start falling at an hour and 45 minutes for me. So on the rack at 1 1/2 hours.

Better luck next time.

I would not be able to sleep well (or long) with meat in the cooker. Anyway, in my case when one thing goes wrong most others do as well. Looks like you may have salvaged some of it.

Back