Contest Announcment Windy City BBQ Classic officially KCBS Sanctioned September 11th & 12th, 2015

rubbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey Y'all - we are please to announce the date for this year's contest (September 11th & 12th, 2015), and announce that we are officially a KCBS Sanctioned contest. We're also growing the field this year up to 100 teams, including ancillary contests, live music, and free beer & cocktails all weekend again.

We're also eliminating the public attendance tickets, and moving the competitors to the North end of the lot (closer to the stadium), with easy access to electricity (Soldier Field's main power supply - which is more power than we could possibly need), water, and entry/exit. Teams will be allowed to leave immediately at the end of awards this year, as we won't have the general public roaming around.

The changes are due to my passion for BBQ and my desire for this event to grow in that way. We're going to continue growing the contest, as Soldier Field manages the campus & the surrounding area (Northerly Island, Museum Campus, etc.). We want to be a nationally recognized competition, with a great venue downtown Chicago on the lakefront, we're excited for the possibilities.

Applications are being touched up, but with this being KCBS sanctioned, ya'll know the rules - apps will be live on the site this week.

www.windycitybbqclassic.com

Thanks for those that have participated the last 3 years, and welcome to the newcomers for 2015. We're excited to be the only KCBS Sanctioned event in the City of Chicago. :clap2::clap2:

Congrats, Jared! It sounds like you are addressing everyone's concerns from the past competitions!

We have it on our schedule!

Congrats, Jared! It sounds like you are addressing everyone's concerns from the past competitions!

Glad you noticed - that's my goal..I want to grow the competitive side of this, and raise awareness of Awesome BBQ in this great city!

Good Luck Jared. I've seen this event grow every year and i think you are doing it right by going to KCBS standards if you want to grow. I'll be checking in to judge again this year.

Although it's an awesome venue, aren't you at the mercy of the Bears scheduling in order to get a more stable date year over year? I know this seems to butt up against some other contests and this year is no exception. I think it's good to have it in Sept since there are the holy grail contests that go on in October (the Jack, Murphysboro and Sam's) but what's to say that Soldier Field schedule wont' be as favorable in the future?

Anyway, I am looking forward to this and it'll be awesome to get a hundred teams in it.

Scott

but what's to say that Soldier Field schedule wont' be as favorable in the future?

Doing it Friday and Saturday gives us the green light for any weekend we want. I moved it back to September cause last year was barely warm enough. It's the 2nd weekend in September because the 1st weekend is Labor Day. I'd love to have it the 2nd weekend in September every year, rather than changing it annually - so that's the current plan.

Glad to have you judging again - we'll have the forms up for judges later this week.

Just an update - the application for teams is live now. This year, the application process is very simple: Fill out your form online and click "Submit". No scanning/mailing, etc. We'll follow up with you regarding payment after you submit your application.

For Judges - you can also sign up on the website, KCBS Judges only please.

Here is a link for the competitors:
http://www.windycitybbqclassic.com/contest-application.html

Here is a link to sign up as a judge:
http://www.windycitybbqclassic.com/judges.html

Here is a link to sign up as a volunteer:
http://www.windycitybbqclassic.com/volunteer.html

Any questions, please email jared@Backcountryq.com -
Looking forward to another great year!

We're also eliminating the public attendance tickets, and moving the competitors to the North end of the lot (closer to the stadium), with easy access to electricity (Soldier Field's main power supply - which is more power than we could possibly need), water, and entry/exit. Teams will be allowed to leave immediately at the end of awards this year, as we won't have the general public roaming around.

So I'm confused...

The post quoted above says that the public attendance tickets are being eliminated, but today on Facebook I find out that the only way the public can get in is with a $100 VIP Pitmaster Pass. And, there will be a limit of 400.

[ame]https://www.facebook.com/chicagobbqcontest/posts/761428107303206[/ame]

:confused:

"In 2015, you’ll be able to invite your friends & family without making them buy a ticket – this was a major change for us, but we’re happy to do it to make the experience better for the teams. "

i was quite excited once I received the above message from the organizers... But I guess that is no longer the case. I would like a reason why?

"In 2015, you’ll be able to invite your friends & family without making them buy a ticket – this was a major change for us, but we’re happy to do it to make the experience better for the teams. "

i was quite excited once I received the above message from the organizers... But I guess that is no longer the case. I would like a reason why?

The $100 ticket is explained on the contest main page. You get the free beer, food sampling from restaurants, demos and music. Based on the description, well worth the $100.

This is very much still the case - sorry for the confusion.

Each BBQ team will be given passes for their friends & family to attend - FREE OF CHARGE - that allow them to attend (without inclusion of food & beer) the contest.

The VIP area ($100 ticket) is separate from the competition area, and includes food, beer, entertainment, etc.

Teams that are registered - you will be given these passes for your friends and family prior to the event.

So teams can't have any of the beer, et al?

Yes, teams will have a beer truck pouring all weekends - cocktails too..

Team guests (free passes) will have bring their own or ask a team member nicely (wink, wink)... There will be plenty of beer..

Back