Why I love pellet grills and dislike Traeger

Jrogers84

is Blowin Smoke!
I love the ease of pellet grills. Especially with the hours I work and having a 2 year old and a wife. I prefer to spend time with them then outside in the winter over a grill. Does it produce the best grilled food ever? No. Does it make a damn fine meal? Absolutely.

I threw 2 spatchcock chicken on the mini Traeger today. Put a probe in them and didn't touch them until it read 165 in the breast. Both were seasoned the exact same and placed in the grill skin side up. Mayo slather with BPS sweet money. One on the left and one on the right. It's a small grill...wasn't much room in between. This is what came out.....

796dd6e9afea798ea16d7e9e9efe7fe7.jpg

It's a shame that it has come to this with a grill meant for convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer. My Rectec is larger and I've periodically tested the temps for consistency. Every once in a while something weird happens but in general it's within 5-10 degrees everywhere.

Out of curiosity, how hot were you running it?

Bummer. My Rectec is larger and I've periodically tested the temps for consistency. Every once in a while something weird happens but in general it's within 5-10 degrees everywhere.

Out of curiosity, how hot were you running it?

375. I know the right side runs a bit hotter but have never seen anything this extreme. The thing barely fits 2 chickens, I'm surprised this drastic of a result is even possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mine is fairly even heat throughout, but larger than yours. Sorry to here your disappointment, maybe try rotating the meat mid cook? Seems like you have done well with this cooker before.

Our GMG is pretty even but does have hot spots all around the edges where the heat comes around the diffuser plate

mine is fairly even heat throughout, but larger than yours. Sorry to here your disappointment, maybe try rotating the meat mid cook? Seems like you have done well with this cooker before.

Ya I can rotate but since we got a foot of snow and a heat wave my back yard is pretty sloppy. Half the reason I use it is so I dont have to tend to it.

I also believe your unit is a far better build quality than this one. This thing is the definition of entry level for sure.

I know a lot of people who have pellet grills and love them but I have never had a desire to own one. I guess I don't want to have to rely on electricity or a mechanical part possibly breaking when I'm smoking something.

Wayne

Back