Why defrost?

Not long ago, there was a morning news show piece on cooking frozen steaks, burgers, and similiar size meats. Testing was done by chefs in reputable restaurants. The overwhelming response was that the meats cooked from frozen were juicier, and that steaks were easier to cook to rare or medium. The taste issue was obviously subjective, but there were no bad comments about the cooked from frozen items. It did not address larger cuts like roasts, etc.

It seems almost everyone here comments about the juiciness aspect, but when I read things like, "steaks were easier to cook to rare or medium," I have to shake my head and wonder, what the fark? How hard is it to cook a steak to rare? :loco:

I don't doubt that what you say is accurate, but I do wonder about the news report itself.

It seems almost everyone here comments about the juiciness aspect, but when I read things like, "steaks were easier to cook to rare or medium," I have to shake my head and wonder, what the fark? How hard is it to cook a steak to rare? :loco:
Yeah how hard can it be.

giphy.gif

I wonder if it is easier to seal in the juices while searing a frozen vs thawed steak?

Let the flame war begin!

Now I don't know what to do with my TV dinners.:confused:

What in this thread makes you think you need to change how you cook TV dinners???? Sheesh!

You let them defrost in your garage for 2 or 3 days and then cook them in the dishwasher on the energy saving mode for approximately 2 hours and 47 minutes. You can eat them right away or hold them in a cooler for up to 4 hours. Easy peasy.

Back