Why are these rib bones blowing out???

Is it frowned upon to quote yourself because you feel like the OP completely ignored your post and suggestion? Eh, I'll do it anyway because I don't really care about social norms...

I will add to this though. I do not change my temperature when I wrap, so I don't necessarily subscribe to that theory. They do cook faster than non-enhanced ribs, so a shorter foil time *may* work.

What I will come back to again is that I "foil" in pans and not in a tight wrap. Not saying that's the end-all, be-all to your issue, but I do believe it is a factor you're not considering. You, and one other person I know personally who has had this issue, wrap in foil boats.

I'm sure there are teams who wrap in foil and don't have this issue, and I am just one measly person whose opinion fell to the wayside, but I am telling you we've done well this season and we use pans.

I didn't ignore you man......I have foiled in pans both deep and shallow along the way with honestly ok results for a while in cookie sheet foil pans. That's actually how I finished last season and started this one but then it all went to hell again so I tried to eliminate variables and went back to foil wrap.

I have had some of my best results in pans so I thank you for that thought and i won't hesitate to try it again.

I'm still waiting to see the pics of the trophies....

I'm still waiting for you to post something helpful instead of trolling.........you first :thumb:

Maybe a few more expensive comps to test before cutting bait.

I have a good job and BBQ has been good to us so I don't worry about it.

including doing something at a contest you know could hammer you and cost you a shot at a overall good finish when you could have easily just used a different product (possibly due to self admitted stubbornness)

I could easily just use another product......I have a rock solid program for baby backs that has done very well for me for years but twice at the Royal they did not........so I decided to tinker and down the rabbit hole I went. So what??

We GC'd October last year so the Royal and jack draw are already set this year. We are a lot less concerned with what happens at a 30 team local event then we are with fine tuning our entire cook for a bigger goal. Besides in two contests I finished 8th and 16th......not exactly disasterous but not what we want either.

Not sure why you seem so bent about what I do with ribs but honestly I have too many cool guys helping me in this thread and private messages to care.

Yes I am being stubborn about trying to make them work.......because when they do hit they are very good and have a track record of being good enough to win on the biggest stages out there. Is that so bad??

Help or don't man......I'm fine either way, but it's a little strange to get worked up over someone else asking for advice on comp ribs in a comp BBQ forum LOL

If you look at the pictures Kimo1 posted, I think you'll find the problem, may not be obvious. This weekend I cooked some practice ribs, and 1 rack had a couple ends exposed or a very thin 2nd membrane, and when done those ends popped through. In the last pic Kimo1 posted those 2 ends are how mine looked. On my 2nd rack there were a couple holes in the membrane from butchering process, and they also popped.

I don't even pretend to be a good rib cook, been getting better each year. Those that are better at ribs, if you see a thin 2nd membrane like in that last pic from Kimo1, any tips to keep them from popping thru?

groundhog_day_68538.jpg

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163116

2 rib threads in 4 years.......and unrelated at that.........WOW, that is unbelievable!!!

In a COMPETITION BBQ forum who would have ever guessed :spit:

I could easily just use another product......I have a rock solid program for baby backs that has done very well for me for years but twice at the Royal they did not........so I decided to tinker and down the rabbit hole I went. So what??

We GC'd October last year so the Royal and jack draw are already set this year. We are a lot less concerned with what happens at a 30 team local event then we are with fine tuning our entire cook for a bigger goal. Besides in two contests I finished 8th and 16th......not exactly disasterous but not what we want either.

Not sure why you seem so bent about what I do with ribs but honestly I have too many cool guys helping me in this thread and private messages to care.

Yes I am being stubborn about trying to make them work.......because when they do hit they are very good and have a track record of being good enough to win on the biggest stages out there. Is that so bad??

Help or don't man......I'm fine either way, but it's a little strange to get worked up over someone else asking for advice on comp ribs in a comp BBQ forum LOL

You're so cute you're telling someone else about getting "worked up". Guess you can't take some light banter :crazy:.

Anyways from all your posts of trying every variation of cooker, temp and recipe I just thought some of the best advice here was to move on. Seems like you've possibly could have used those 37+ (or more) practice cooks, that most seemed to be dumpster fires of blow outs, and spent it on another product.

Doing something over and over again (even with different recipes) and getting the same results is a bad idea. And with your self proclaimed stubbornness as the reason for it (because other teams are succeeding and you want to do the same) you apparently can't see the forest from the trees.

I would think someone who apparently wins a lot and has responded to about every post with something like "i've tried 6 variations of what you've just suggested so someone else please suggest something that isn't wasting my time" might understand that consistency is key. So saying "because when they do hit they are very good and have a track record of being good enough to win" appears to be an indicator that they aren't consistent ("when" being the key word). So the best cumulative advice I've seen here is to switch product :thumb:.

But I'm sure this will get the same "resume trashcan" response as most of your others :becky:

Tough for a judge to get a clean bite off a totally exposed bone......any pull from the bite will just strip all the meat and you will get killed for overdone even if they aren't.

You've NEVER seen this???.......what temp are you rolling when they are foiled and how long can they run wrapped with no issues? Normal size racks....3.75ish??

Thanks

I usually cook at 275-300 till color looks good then wrap for about 30 min. I may loose a bone or two on the ends, but the middle is always good. Just my thoughts, is that if bite pulls off all the meat then they are overdone.

Instead of spending all that money trying different ways to cook so you dont screw it up, Id tell you to take a class with some teams that are using them. Gettin Basted has a great class and they use the ET's.

It's not about moving on......as I stated I have other proven successful programs, I am simply trying to make this one work. Not sure why that bothers you so much.

You don't have to help man........not that you've tried.

I grabbed 6 racks on the way home from work today and I'm going to try some more combos I've discussed with other members trying to help.

Check back and see how we do :thumb:

I usually cook at 275-300 till color looks good then wrap for about 30 min. I may loose a bone or two on the ends, but the middle is always good. Just my thoughts, is that if bite pulls off all the meat then they are overdone.

How does the back of your rack look when done with that timeline?? Any bones blown out besides maybe 1 or 2 on end?? Of your keepers is the bone exposed but not protruding or still completely concealed with meat/membrane??

Do you temp them ever out of curiosity??

Thanks

How does the back of your rack look when done with that timeline?? Any bones blown out besides maybe 1 or 2 on end?? Of your keepers is the bone exposed but not protruding or still completely concealed with meat/membrane??

Do you temp them ever out of curiosity??

Thanks

Usually just the ones on the end. My ribs dont even pull back to expose the tips. Here is a poor pic from my last contest, not a great pic, but they took 5th out of 70.

Attachments

• Ribs.jpg
    Ribs.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 166
It's not about moving on......as I stated I have other proven successful programs, I am simply trying to make this one work. Not sure why that bothers you so much.

You don't have to help man........not that you've tried.

I grabbed 6 racks on the way home from work today and I'm going to try some more combos I've discussed with other members trying to help.

Check back and see how we do :thumb:

Still using the old/tired "not sure why it bothers you" internet offensive to make it seem like you are the one being calm and the other person is getting all worked up when that isn't the case? I'm just typing words like you are, but I digress......

So I've given "advise" of moving on (as have many others). You quickly dismiss it because it isn't what you want to hear and then use it to attack. From most of the posts here it clearly seems like you aren't that great at receiving advice......that you asked for. :becky:.

Off to go be more worked up/bothered :clap2:

I didn't ignore you man......I have foiled in pans both deep and shallow along the way with honestly ok results for a while in cookie sheet foil pans. That's actually how I finished last season and started this one but then it all went to hell again so I tried to eliminate variables and went back to foil wrap.

I have had some of my best results in pans so I thank you for that thought and i won't hesitate to try it again.

"Man" - now that's a funny one! It's a good thing I don't get offended easily :shocked:

I personally feel like I get more consistent results when I foil in pans vs a wrap, but that's just my humble opinion.

Mod Note:

C'mon guys! Quit the bickering and name calling! If you can't reply to someone in a polite, respectful manner, don't reply! It's fine to disagree, but try to do so without resorting to accusations of trolling, etc.

Yessir!!!!, I don't know if winter ever ended last year or it's just come early this year?

Usually just the ones on the end. My ribs dont even pull back to expose the tips. Here is a poor pic from my last contest, not a great pic, but they took 5th out of 70.

Thanks man........my buddy says he sees similar results on his Jambo as far as not pulling back much and he runs his ribs up to 200+

Nice call on your ribs :clap2:

"Man" - now that's a funny one! It's a good thing I don't get offended easily :shocked:

I personally feel like I get more consistent results when I foil in pans vs a wrap, but that's just my humble opinion.

Why would that offend you?? LOL

I have two racks on right now and will be foiling one in a pan for a side by side run.

Thanks again and we'll see how it goes.

Back