Why are my briskets so much better with hot and fast method?

Commercially, time is money. If you can cook a brisket in 5 hours or less and it's more or less the same result as doing at 225 for 10 + hours, then that's what you do. Increase efficiency and decrease wasted time. Heard that from a Pitmaster here.

Cheers!

A lot of it is what works for you but what smoker you’re using makes a difference.

300+ for a few hours isn’t a good choice on my Rectec. There is too little smoke produced and the bottom gets too much much heat as there isn’t much of a gap between the drip pan and the meat. .

This is where a smoke daddy stick burning diffuser really works well. Im not sure if it fits a rectec, but if not, sombody needs to make one.Its recommended to run 300F to get the logs burning, then you can drop to 250-275F or stay at 300F and get that TBS you get from a stick burner.

Since I bought Aaron Franklin's Meat Smoking Manifesto, gave the rest of my true BBQ books to the Church sale. I'm 275*F for pork and beef on my WSM. Peach butcher paper for wrap or just let it ride. For me the trick is how long do you let it rest.

Have had Rave Reviews from the only critics that matter. Friends and Family.

A lot of it is what works for you but what smoker you’re using makes a difference.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's easy to maintain 350 in my cabinet smoker but not in the WSM. But it all comes down to rendering the fat and connective tissue until you get a tender piece of meat. For those who have ever been to a competition, those guys winning are usually getting some sleep, cooking hot and fast, up at 3 and done by 10 or 11. I think you can get excellent results either way, so it comes down to preference and practice.

Do you rest at all? I find low and slow only really works when I rest it for a few hours in a hot box/oven on keep warm mode.

Back