18 hour rest!

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
Here are the results for this super long rest experiment..... EXCELLENT!!!! The flat and the point was very juicy, not overcooked. I took some serious heat from people on BBQ groups on Facebook on my last post saying that because I didn't bring the meat up to probe tinder at least to 205° that this was going to be a piece of leather. I'm here to tell you now, this will be the only way I cook briskets in the future. I would suggest any of the you that want to do this method to have a better warming system than I used. The pitmasters in Texas use warming ovens specific to super long rest and they do theirs between 150 and 160. My oven set on warm and hold the temperatures fluctuated between 158 and 180. I normally rest in a insulated cooler but doing a super long rest for 18 hours I don't think would work in a cooler.

Fat Cap Up
Cook/Smoke to 190°.
Wrap in Tallow coated butcher paper, place in aluminum pan, pour half a cup of water in pan, tightly wrap pan with two layers of aluminum foil. Placr pan in oven at its lowest temperature. Minimum rest 10 hours.

Attachments

• Resized_20230204_181421.jpg
    Resized_20230204_181421.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 348
  • Resized_20230204_181454.jpg
    Resized_20230204_181454.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 344
  • Screenshot_20230204_160855_Clock.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204_160855_Clock.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Excellent! I've discovered the same thing through sheer laziness. Because I enjoy sleeping I've been putting butts and briskets on the night before at low temperature, usually about 210*. Often I find them finished late morning. I've let them rest for up to 8 hours in the oven and the longer the rest the better they turn out. Of course, I'm much lazier than you are. I don't add water, don't double-wrap in foil or butcher paper, just an aluminum pan with a sheet of foil over the top. Sometimes I don't remember to turn on the oven for a few hours :roll: Seems the lazier I get, the better the food comes out.

Awesome! I used to have a bbq food truck. We would hold briskets in an Alto Shamm holding cabinet for a looong time. At one event the last brisket that came out of there was in there 20 hours, and it was EXCELLENT. I always found that the longer holds did something special to the briskets.

Here are the results for this super long rest experiment..... EXCELLENT!!!! The flat and the point was very juicy, not overcooked. I took some serious heat from people on BBQ groups on Facebook on my last post saying that because I didn't bring the meat up to probe tinder at least to 205° that this was going to be a piece of leather. I'm here to tell you now, this will be the only way I cook briskets in the future. I would suggest any of the you that want to do this method to have a better warming system than I used. The pitmasters in Texas use warming ovens specific to super long rest and they do theirs between 150 and 160. My oven set on warm and hold the temperatures fluctuated between 158 and 180. I normally rest in a insulated cooler but doing a super long rest for 18 hours I don't think would work in a cooler.

Fat Cap Up
Cook/Smoke to 190°.
Wrap in Tallow coated butcher paper, place in aluminum pan, pour half a cup of water in pan, tightly wrap pan with two layers of aluminum foil. Placr pan in oven at its lowest temperature. Minimum rest 10 hours.

Hello MPH & friends,

Thank you so much for posting this! I am planning a cook in a couple weeks and have the need for a very long hold. I'm doing boneless turkey breasts and a brisket or two, depending on how many peeps RSVP.

I do have a few questions about this if you don't mind, please & thank you!

I'll need to hold for 18 to 20 hours and I am nervous about it. I'm brining the turkey breasts and injecting both breasts and briskets w/ phosphates to help retain moisture. I don't think its advisable to hold the turkey so I'll rest it and cool it down, to reheat the next day. Would you agree w/ me on the breasts?

No Sous Vide: I was going to use my sous vide because of its pin point temperature accuracy. I changed my mind for two reasons. 1st, it'll totally soften the bark. 2nd, I'm not sure a good size full packer will fit in the widest bag my vacuum sealer will accommodate.

Electric Oven: I am lucky that the house we recently purchased and moved into has an electric oven w/ a warming feature. It goes all the way down to 140. I I tested it w/ a manual oven thermometer and it only seemed to swing 10 - 15 degrees either way. That was over a couple hours, I don't know if that will hold steady for 18 - 20 hours though... again, a little nervous about that.

Wrap & bark? I love how you wrapped and panned it w/ liquid. Fantastic idea! I'm wondering why you chose water, instead of beef stock or tallow? Did the bark stay firm or did it totally soften up?

Oven warm temp? What temp do you recommend I set my oven on to hold it? Like I said, it goes down to 140 and I haven't seen big temp swings over a 2 hour period, but don't know about 20 hours.

Internal Brisket Temp - pull? So you pulled the brisket at 190 instead of probe tender? Did it come out probe tender aft the long hold? Did you only take it to 190 for fear of over cooking (making it stringy) and drying it out?

Any other tips, suggestions or warning about an 18 - 20 hour hold would be greatly appreciated!

JD

Excellent! I've discovered the same thing through sheer laziness. Because I enjoy sleeping I've been putting butts and briskets on the night before at low temperature, usually about 210*. Often I find them finished late morning. I've let them rest for up to 8 hours in the oven and the longer the rest the better they turn out. Of course, I'm much lazier than you are. I don't add water, don't double-wrap in foil or butcher paper, just an aluminum pan with a sheet of foil over the top. Sometimes I don't remember to turn on the oven for a few hours :roll: Seems the lazier I get, the better the food comes out.

Awesome! I used to have a bbq food truck. We would hold briskets in an Alto Shamm holding cabinet for a looong time. At one event the last brisket that came out of there was in there 20 hours, and it was EXCELLENT. I always found that the longer holds did something special to the briskets.

I am a fan of the 12 - 18 hour rest

Yours looks fantastic

Thanks folks,

I'm hoping ya'll will chime in on this and answer my questions if you would please.

We greatly appreciate you teaching us through your experience!

I believe this long hold might be a big deal and a game changer.

Thanks!
JD

Not to get into semantics, but at some point it is no longer a long hold and really is finishing the cook in an oven really slowly. I am not sure where that switch happens, but to me if you are wrapping a hot brisket that is below the final cooking temp and bringing the temp of the meat higher it isn't a long hold. To me a long hold means that the meat was brought to a certain temp and then cooled down to 140-160 and held at that temp till service. Either way can produce wonderful brisket but the final product will be a bit different.

Not to get into semantics, but at some point it is no longer a long hold and really is finishing the cook in an oven really slowly. I am not sure where that switch happens, but to me if you are wrapping a hot brisket that is below the final cooking temp and bringing the temp of the meat higher it isn't a long hold. To me a long hold means that the meat was brought to a certain temp and then cooled down to 140-160 and held at that temp till service. Either way can produce wonderful brisket but the final product will be a bit different.

Thanks JAKs,
Yes I’ve always finished I’m the oven after wrapping. I figured after it was wrapped and upto 160-180 it’s not taking on much more smoke anyway. I save the wood & work of tending stick burner.
Best regards,
JD

Solid! Look incredible. The longer it's properly rested the better brisket comes out. I'm in the same camp.

mph33 when you pulled at 190 and wrapped and put into a pan, did you let it come down in temp or just straight into the oven in warm mode?

If you ever done chuck roast sous vide you would know they come out almost melt in your mouth tender cooked at 160F for 20 hours. No need to bring even up to 180F if holding above 160F for 18+ hours.

If I need a long hold. I pull around 195° then I vacuum seal and hold in my sous vide @ 150 up to 36 hours.

Itsdone is correct, very similar to SV cooking, long cook time at lower temp = higher temp shorter time, reckon I lovem any way I can getem lol. Lot of ways to skin a squirrel and no method is the best just the 1 you are doing now lol. I read folks love the hot and fast method but tried with a gas smoker and while it was good it wasn't as good as my lower temp cooks. Love the info and thanks for sharing, got a cook for my sons birthday in a few weeks and may try 1 this way .

Hello MPH & friends,

Thank you so much for posting this! I am planning a cook in a couple weeks and have the need for a very long hold. I'm doing boneless turkey breasts and a brisket or two, depending on how many peeps RSVP.

I do have a few questions about this if you don't mind, please & thank you!

I'll need to hold for 18 to 20 hours and I am nervous about it. I'm brining the turkey breasts and injecting both breasts and briskets w/ phosphates to help retain moisture. I don't think its advisable to hold the turkey so I'll rest it and cool it down, to reheat the next day. Would you agree w/ me on the breasts?

No Sous Vide: I was going to use my sous vide because of its pin point temperature accuracy. I changed my mind for two reasons. 1st, it'll totally soften the bark. 2nd, I'm not sure a good size full packer will fit in the widest bag my vacuum sealer will accommodate.

Electric Oven: I am lucky that the house we recently purchased and moved into has an electric oven w/ a warming feature. It goes all the way down to 140. I I tested it w/ a manual oven thermometer and it only seemed to swing 10 - 15 degrees either way. That was over a couple hours, I don't know if that will hold steady for 18 - 20 hours though... again, a little nervous about that.

Wrap & bark? I love how you wrapped and panned it w/ liquid. Fantastic idea! I'm wondering why you chose water, instead of beef stock or tallow? Did the bark stay firm or did it totally soften up?

Oven warm temp? What temp do you recommend I set my oven on to hold it? Like I said, it goes down to 140 and I haven't seen big temp swings over a 2 hour period, but don't know about 20 hours.

Internal Brisket Temp - pull? So you pulled the brisket at 190 instead of probe tender? Did it come out probe tender aft the long hold? Did you only take it to 190 for fear of over cooking (making it stringy) and drying it out?

Any other tips, suggestions or warning about an 18 - 20 hour hold would be greatly appreciated!

JD

I think you would find this very informative. Evan really explains things well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYhJC8FN8rA

Back