Which variable should I change next?

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
Ok, the brisket I did for the Super Bowl turned out pretty well.

I cooked it at 250º, wrapped it at 160º in butcher paper with some tallow, and use a rub consisting of 1 part pepper and 1/2 part kosher salt per pound (i.e. a 9 pound brisket would be 9 tbsp of pepper and 4.5 tbsp of kosher salt). I pulled it at 200º. I used hickory wood.

So, my question is: Which variable should I change first?

• Cook temperature
  • Wood (Options available to me are hickory, apple, pecan, and cherry)
  • Rub (and what should it be?)
  • Tallow (and how? I was thinking of using some kind of oil or compound butter)
  • Wrap temperature

Did you let it rest? If so how did you do it(cooler/warmer), how long, what temps?

Wrap temperature. Don’t wrap until after you pull (180°F - 190°F) and are getting ready to put the brisket in the warmer for a long hold.

It’s hard for me to see how you could get a really good bark if you wrapped at 160°F.

I've been wanting to turn it Mexican for tacos - fajita seasoning with some Tajin for the lime kick, or a chile con carne seasoning. Been in a rut with SPOG and it's variations. No complaints, it's always good - but like you it's just time to try something different.

I did. It was tender, for sure.

Getting proper tenderness is 99% of the battle.
If you have tenderness, was is lacking that makes you want it to be different?

One thing I would say is to try post oak next time. I used it on my last brisket, and plan on using it for brisket from now on.

Experimentation.

I can always go back to "what worked", but if I find something that works better, I can go with that.

I would try cooking without wrapping it. You can always baste/sop it if needed. It might be a valuable data point, especially if you oversleep, miss your wrap temp, and have to improvise.

What about your brisket do you want to improve?

More tender? Try holding, maybe injecting.

Crisper bark? Don’t wrap at all, but realize your cook will take longer.
Or wrap, but unwrap at say 190 to re-crisp the bark.

Flavor? Try different rubs, dry brine, injecting.

Another thought is different grades or dry aging for something different.

Yeah, rather than just trying something to see how it turns out, I'd set some specific improvement you'd like to see then research it from that viewpoint.

Just the normal things that happen during a cook will test your variables, plus not all briskets cook the same. Best advice (other than wrapping later and holding longer) is just keep cooking them the best you know how. truths will present themselves.

Wrap temp. Wrapping while you're still in the stall ends up steaming the brisket, there's still too much water to purge. Wrap much, much later into the cook, 180+. Also experiment with pulling earlier (190/195) and hot-holding at 150-160 overnight

Wrap temperature. Don’t wrap until after you pull (180°F - 190°F) and are getting ready to put the brisket in the warmer for a long hold.

It’s hard for me to see how you could get a really good bark if you wrapped at 160°F.

This. Never wrap by temp. Wrap by bark,color,appearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back