Which griddle? Blackstone VS Campchef Solutions

A couple of thoughts:
1. with griddles, a lot of heat gets thrown back at the burners, this leads to erosion of the gas jets, it is worse with gas as well, because gas has water vapor in it that does not get completely burned off. Thus, burners with griddles on the top burn out faster. Stainless is good, cast iron is better.

2. Most commercial griddle are, in fact, mild steel, as carbon steel cooks better than stainless steel, and it seasons, which means, over the long haul, less oil used, less sticking of food, easier cooking and cleanup. Yes, carbon steel rusts, learn to take care of your equipment. Or leave it greasy, either way works.

3. Cast iron and cast alloy work even better, but, have added weight and can reflect even more heat. If you can find a cast iron griddle top, it will last a lifetime, but, so will a 3/8" steel top, if maintained.

4. I used to cook on a carbon steel Teppan (3" thick carbon steel) and it was the greatest thing I have ever cooked on. I could cook cheese on it until crisp and it would slick off clean as a whistle. Stainless will stick and it doesn't sear anywhere near as well.

I think you should consider the Mojoe Griddle. http://www.mojoegriddle.com/

The guy's videos are truly obnoxious but it's obvious his griddle is a solid product.

seattlepitboss

Wow! The first negative comment on my videos! I knew it had to come at some point because my style is a bit over the top and not what most people are used to. As a matter of fact, I kinda agree with you but they make me and the people around me laugh. I know that my feigned irreverence to the art of cooking will turn a lot of folks off but I am trying to project that Mojoe cooking is fun and I truly do have a lot of fun doing it. I could be way off base here though.

I actually love to get criticism because that helps me make my products and videos better (I'm serious!). So keep it coming - let me know how I can make the videos better!

Cam

Wow! The first negative comment on my videos! I knew it had to come at some point because my style is a bit over the top and not what most people are used to. As a matter of fact, I kinda agree with you but they make me and the people around me laugh. I know that my feigned irreverence to the art of cooking will turn a lot of folks off but I am trying to project that Mojoe cooking is fun and I truly do have a lot of fun doing it. I could be way off base here though.

I actually love to get criticism because that helps me make my products and videos better (I'm serious!). So keep it coming - let me know how I can make the videos better!

Cam
I believe you succeed in that goal! I've made it through several of the videos and am on the verge of ordering.

Is there a place on the website that specifically states what comes with the Mojoe? (Handles, legs, etc)

I believe you succeed in that goal! I've made it through several of the videos and am on the verge of ordering.

Is there a place on the website that specifically states what comes with the Mojoe? (Handles, legs, etc)

I'm pretty sure that it says that the Mojoe Griddle comes with two handles and three campfire legs (it does come with these items) but I'll have to check the site and make sure it does!

The Mojoe Strap-On Griddlip and the Mojoe Sack are extra cost accessories.

I hope you get one - You will not be disappointed!

Cam

I'm pretty sure that it says that the Mojoe Griddle comes with two handles and three campfire legs (it does come with these items) but I'll have to check the site and make sure it does!

The Mojoe Strap-On Griddlip and the Mojoe Sack are extra cost accessories.

I hope you get one - You will not be disappointed!

Cam

Thanks Cam

Looks like it mounts onto a kettle in a manner that gives good stability. I have a Weber and will use that, but I also have one of those Turkey Fryer/single burner propane stands. Is the Mojoe fairly stable on that as well? (I figure that's quicker and easier for many occasions, and I want it to be stable. Probably an inconvenient height, but figure I'll plop my butt in a chair in front of it with a side table holding cans/glassses of liquid refreshment nearby :biggrin1:)

Thanks Cam

Looks like it mounts onto a kettle in a manner that gives good stability. I have a Weber and will use that, but I also have one of those Turkey Fryer/single burner propane stands. Is the Mojoe fairly stable on that as well? (I figure that's quicker and easier for many occasions, and I want it to be stable. Probably an inconvenient height, but figure I'll plop my butt in a chair in front of it with a side table holding cans/glassses of liquid refreshment nearby :biggrin1:)

Yes, the Mojoe is extremely stable on a Weber Kettle. The three mounting bars welded to the bottom have an indent at their outer end that rests on the rim of the Weber and prevent the Mojoe from sliding off the rim. The three points of contact is always stable no matter the condition of the Kettle.

The Mojoe is very stable on any heat source with a rim diameter of 9" or more. The reason for this is that the Mojoe is so heavy (35 pounds) and the weight is evenly distributed. Even with a 9" rim diameter on the heat source, it would take about 25 pounds of pressure on the outer rim just to get it to tip a little!

I like the way you intend to solve the height problem with the fryer burner! I have found that the best burners to use with the Mojoe are the 30,000 BTU low pressure "banjo" types. The high pressure 60,000 BTU burners focus all of the heat into a very small area and are very hard to adjust and control.

Watch the videos on our YouTube Channel - they include cooks on several different heat sources including the Weber, Propane stove burners, campfires, washtub fire pits and even a chimnea.

Cam

Yes, the Mojoe is extremely stable on a Weber Kettle. The three mounting bars welded to the bottom have an indent at their outer end that rests on the rim of the Weber and prevent the Mojoe from sliding off the rim. The three points of contact is always stable no matter the condition of the Kettle.

The Mojoe is very stable on any heat source with a rim diameter of 9" or more. The reason for this is that the Mojoe is so heavy (35 pounds) and the weight is evenly distributed. Even with a 9" rim diameter on the heat source, it would take about 25 pounds of pressure on the outer rim just to get it to tip a little!

I like the way you intend to solve the height problem with the fryer burner! I have found that the best burners to use with the Mojoe are the 30,000 BTU low pressure "banjo" types. The high pressure 60,000 BTU burners focus all of the heat into a very small area and are very hard to adjust and control.

Watch the videos on our YouTube Channel - they include cooks on several different heat sources including the Weber, Propane stove burners, campfires, washtub fire pits and even a chimnea.

Cam
One last question: have you ever used this indoors on a Kitchen Stove top?

BTW: Yes, I ordered a Mojoe. :biggrin1:

One last question: have you ever used this indoors on a Kitchen Stove top?

BTW: Yes, I ordered a Mojoe. :biggrin1:

I got your order - Thank you!

To answer your question, No, I haven't used the Mojoe on a kitchen stove top and I don't think that I would recommend it. For one thing, I don't know if a kitchen stove can put out enough heat and second, it's a bit unwieldy for use in cramped quarters - you might break something!

I have used it indoors on a Camp Chef stove out at my desert cabin though. (I don't think Camp Chef recommends indoor stove use either!)

Cam

Back