Which cooker is simplest to use?

• Weber Smokey Mountain

Votes: 50 55.6%
  • Pit Barrel Cooker

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • They are equally simple to use

Votes: 16 17.8%

• Total voters
I have never cooked on a PBC, but I can't imagine it's any easier to cook on than a WSM.

I'll second this. The WSM is soooo easy.

Does the PBC have access to the fire while in use? If not, that is a definite negative. Sometimes you just need to add more charcoal or smoke wood.

Actually, you don't need to do that on a PBC.
To be fair any cooker like this with smaller fire baskets you will have to refuel if you have long cooks with a large load...especially in inclement cold crappy weather zaps fuel. A UDS with a over sized basket you wouldn't need to worry as much though.

For example this Sat day I'm cooking 44-45 lbs of pork butt in my medium (pbc size cooker) and cooking @ 400-450*. 1 or 2 butts I'd be fine without refuel but doing 4 big boys 11-12 lbs each will zap more fuel and could need some. I'm gonna use better than KBB or if I do use KBB i'm gonna over load the basket. lol

As far as adding wood you could open the door in a WSM and a PBC you woould open the lid and drop them into the coals and that's not a big deal...just lose a little more heat.

If someone was deciding between a Weber Smokey Mountain or a Pit Barrel Cooker and said they wanted to purchase the one that was the simplest to use, which one would you recommend?

I cannot vote since I have not used either one but I do have my stupid opinion as usual...:thumb:

They are both simple to use and which ever cooker you have is the one that you are going to argue is the best/easiest. That's just how we are. If you asked which is the better designed offset LSG or SF then those 2 sets of guys would go after it. (please do not start that argument on my behalf)

My thought is they are both simple but the WSM is a little more versatile. I know that was not the question but after you get the hang of your cooker you might want to try different temps or whatever you saw on youtube that you find interesting. Then again...maybe not. What if you are running behind on a cook? Can you bump up the temps on a PBC by cracking the lid? I may be talking out of my arse again since I have never used a PBC so don't go too crazy on me.:becky: If the PBC is more versatile than I think it is please correct me.

for someone like me in a chair id only recommend the pbc, if they can reach down in it and lift the basket. if not i would recommend a kettle with smokenator :) or something like the perfomrer because of height of table and ease of putting meat on and off the kettle from the table. yeah yeah yeah i know im the only one that has range of motion issues pbc still gets my vote for ease of use.

if we are talking ease of use for a big cook i would probably tell a normal to get a 22inch wsm just for shear size and amount of food to be cooked on it alone.

The WSM is a versatile smoker, usable for many different purposes, while the PBS is an out of the box, no settings needed, cooker. It's like asking " Which is better, a deep fryer, or an electric fry pan.". Both have a purpose.

The question we are voting on is which one is the simplest to use......not which one is more versitle or which one is "better" or which one will burn fuel longer ect.
You can't beat the simplicity of the PBC. I mean within 20 minutes of opening the box you can be cooking. There's one adjustment recommended to set it up and that's it. I'm sure the WSM is pretty easy to get started up but from the things I've read it's still not quite as easy as the PBC.
There are very little mods those of use who own the PBC do to them. Most leave them as is and cook. Probably the one thing people do the most isn't even a mod and that's run a thermometer through one of the exhaust holes to monitor temps (but from what Ive seen WSM owners use aftermarket thermometers too). There's no side door that needs to be bent into shape or replaced with a better stainless steel version. There's no water pan to mess with. There's no leaks from a side door or a top, middle, or bottom piece.
About fuel, the PBC will get 10 hours of consistent temperature cook times with one full coal basket. Everything cooked in the PBC tends to cook faster than other cookers and yes I'm talking about at equal temperatures. So it's doubtful you would need to add more fuel. But IF you did it can't be more easy than opening the lid and dropping coal in!
I'm not knocking the WSM at all. If I didn't have the PBC I'd have a WSM. But I think the PBC is easier straight out of the box to use. And honestly as far as versitility they are both very versitle but unless you buy or make something allowing you to hang meat in the WSM, the PBC will cook more food.....In fairness I'm comparing the PBC with the 18.5 WSM since they are the same size and price point. :becky:

The question we are voting on is which one is the simplest to use......not which one is more versitle or which one is "better" or which one will burn fuel longer ect.
You can't beat the simplicity of the PBC. I mean within 20 minutes of opening the box you can be cooking. There's one adjustment recommended to set it up and that's it. I'm sure the WSM is pretty easy to get started up but from the things I've read it's still not quite as easy as the PBC.
There are very little mods those of use who own the PBC do to them. Most leave them as is and cook. Probably the one thing people do the most isn't even a mod and that's run a thermometer through one of the exhaust holes to monitor temps (but from what Ive seen WSM owners use aftermarket thermometers too). There's no side door that needs to be bent into shape or replaced with a better stainless steel version. There's no water pan to mess with. There's no leaks from a side door or a top, middle, or bottom piece.
About fuel, the PBC will get 10 hours of consistent temperature cook times with one full coal basket. Everything cooked in the PBC tends to cook faster than other cookers and yes I'm talking about at equal temperatures. So it's doubtful you would need to add more fuel. But IF you did it can't be more easy than opening the lid and dropping coal in!
I'm not knocking the WSM at all. If I didn't have the PBC I'd have a WSM. But I think the PBC is easier straight out of the box to use. And honestly as far as versitility they are both very versitle but unless you buy or make something allowing you to hang meat in the WSM, the PBC will cook more food.....In fairness I'm comparing the PBC with the 18.5 WSM since they are the same size and price point. :becky:

Andrew any of these cookers you can be up and cooking in 10 minutes if you set your fire up right.

WSM has after market parts but the PBC could use some too imo.

The PBC will not keep constant temp for 10 hours without fiddling with the rebar...cracking lid etc.. I guarantee you will need more fuel in cold weather especially loaded with many pounds of long cooking meats like brisket and butts. Also if you cooked 44 lbs of butts like I'm doing Sat it's a pretty good bet you'd need more fuel.

Like PJ said if you own something you'll say it's better/easier etc.. and he's right.

The smokey mountain is the best smoker on the planet, just ask yourself why you wouldn't need one.

Wsm is easier by default. First the minion method was invented by a man using a wsm. What could be simpler then the minion method? Too many "my coals went out" pbc post. Ive read many threads from folks having trouble with the pbc, less with the wsm. IMHO

I have owned both and like them both. You can actually cook on either of them the same way if you know how. There are some people trying to give there opinions on the PBC that have no idea what they are talking about. I now only own the PBC, but if I didn't own either, I would pick the 18 Inch WSM. Not because it's a better cooker, but because they have them on sale at my local Walmart for $199. If they weren't on sale I would go with the PBC. jmho

Andrew any of these cookers you can be up and cooking in 10 minutes if you set your fire up right.

WSM has after market parts but the PBC could use some too imo.

The PBC will not keep constant temp for 10 hours without fiddling with the rebar...cracking lid etc.. I guarantee you will need more fuel in cold weather especially loaded with many pounds of long cooking meats like brisket and butts. Also if you cooked 44 lbs of butts like I'm doing Sat it's a pretty good bet you'd need more fuel.

Like PJ said if you own something you'll say it's better/easier etc.. and he's right.

I'm not sure how you can make those statements about a cooker you have never used......How do you know what adjustments I do or do not make during a cook? I mentioned earlier once you get your intake set, if you light the PBC the same way every time it will hold a temp within 10-20 degrees on every cook.....

I agree with PJ too, but I also didn't knock the wsm. I just think the PBC is easier right of the box and easier to learn to cook on. That in no way means the wsm is hard to learn either.

I agree because its COMPLETELY subjective. whats easy for one isnt necessarily easy for the next person.

forum interaction and all that is good... Mainly what's easier to use IMO is silly. Light the charcoal, place meat in pull when done. Nothing complicated about either.

I'm not sure how you can make those statements about a cooker you have never used......How do you know what adjustments I do or do not make during a cook? I mentioned earlier once you get your intake set, if you light the PBC the same way every time it will hold a temp within 10-20 degrees on every cook.....

I can make those statements because I know how charcoal burns, I know how the physics work from experience of how long burns last in a certain sized coal basket, I know temp fluctuations in near identical sized bigger and smaller cookers with any burn set up. The laws of physics don't change in the PBC....it's a drum and I'm pretty well versed in them, larger loads of meat still zap up more fuel as does when it's cold outside to maintain the same temps. KBB briquettes still produce the same BTU's...Remember My Cousin Vinny with the example of cooking grits? Funny movie but it reminds me of this.

Nothing at all against the PBC but none of the laws change in a 30 gallon drum with horseshoes than in something like my mid size cooker or a 30 gallon UDS.

You and other PBC owners have posted all the things you do to keep temp from dropping into a cook. Pull rebar, crack lid, stir coals etc..

I can make those statements because I know how charcoal burns, I know how the physics work from experience of how long burns last in a certain sized coal basket, I know temp fluctuations in near identical sized bigger and smaller cookers with any burn set up. The laws of physics don't change in the PBC....it's a drum and I'm pretty well versed in them, larger loads of meat still zap up more fuel as does when it's cold outside to maintain the same temps.

Nothing at all against the PBC but none of the laws change in a 30 gallon drum with horseshoes than in something like my mid size cooker or a 30 gallon UDS.

You and other PBC owners have posted all the things you do to keep temp from dropping into a cook. Pull rebar, crack lid, stir coals etc..

You amazing man you.

Back